PDA

View Full Version : ATPL exams

SmileyRiley
14th Nov 2012, 19:59
I apologise for a potential silly question.

In order to sit the exams do you have to be enrolled with a provider or can you register yourself?

taxistaxing
14th Nov 2012, 21:32
You need a registered theory provider to countersign your exam application form to confirm that you have completed the required amount of classroom time. You are require to complete a certain amount of classroom learning, even if you're distance learning.

packo1848
14th Nov 2012, 22:17
Good idea to as well, I found the brush up course of as much value as the self-study despite only being 2 weeks long.

SmileyRiley
14th Nov 2012, 22:30
Are you able to just take the brush up course?

Thanks again :ok:

taxistaxing
14th Nov 2012, 22:36
Well you have do have done the hard long hours yourself learning the course first. Don't be like the guy in my met brush up who asked if airliners few high to escape the force of gravity (I'm not kidding) :ugh:

packo1848
14th Nov 2012, 22:39
Yes, I'm with Bristol, they send you all the materials you need, then when you've completed all the computer-based course (CBT) and you feel ready you phone up and book onto a 2 week brush up. The only requirement is you have to have passed all the progress tests on the CBT.

paco
15th Nov 2012, 03:32
Our standard reply:):

Yes, you do have to study all the notes, you must attend consolidation, and you must do mock exams before we sign you off for the real ones (these are NOT the same as the progress tests!) You must also use our notes, as they form part of our approval - there are no reductions if you happen to have somebody else's!

You must also finish your studies within 18 months and must complete all the exams within 18 months of taking the first one. You must also apply for the exams in good time (don't forget to sign the form on page 2!)

SmileyRiley
15th Nov 2012, 13:33
Thanks everyone :ok:

packo1848
20th Nov 2012, 08:58
I believe the current limit is 18 months from sitting your first exam.

paco
20th Nov 2012, 09:45
And 18 months to complete your studies which we take to mean not including exams. That's caught a few people out.

packo1848
20th Nov 2012, 10:10
Thanks for clarifying that, I certainly never knew that rule existed!

paco
20th Nov 2012, 13:09
CAP 804 Sect Part L P14 (haven't checked for others particularly, but it may be that the ATPL(A) isn't covered by this):

H ATP modular course — Helicopters
1 Applicants for an ATPL(H) who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a modular course shall hold at least a PPL(H) and complete at least the following hours of instruction within a period of 18 months:
(a) for applicants holding a PPL(H) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the
Chicago Convention: 550 hours;
(b) for applicants holding a CPL(H): 300 hours.
2 Applicants for an ATPL(H)/IR who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a modular course shall hold at least a PPL(H) and complete at least the following hours of instruction:
(a) for applicants holding a PPL(H): 650 hours;
(b) for applicants holding a CPL(H): 400 hours;
(c) for applicants holding an IR(H): 500 hours;
(d) for applicants holding a CPL(H) and an IR(H): 250 hours.

page 33 for the IR

The course of theoretical instruction shall be completed within 18 months.

packo1848
20th Nov 2012, 13:16
Very interesting, I wonder how many people are aware of this. I know at my brush-up at Bristol at least, the general belief amongst the students was what I mistakenly quoted, that you have 18 months from the first exam!

packo1848
20th Nov 2012, 13:21
Also what do they mean by complete the instruction?

Does the period start from receipt of the materials from the provider? Or is it from the first classroom session?

And when does the period of instruction finish? Last classroom session or last exam?

paco
20th Nov 2012, 13:57
As mentioned previously, we take it as "not including exams", as it just says "complete the following hours of instruction". We take it from the first progress test as well.

You still have 18 months from the end of the month in which you took the first exam, but it looks as if they haven't included the ATPL(A) or the CPL(A) or (H) in the baove statement.