PDA

View Full Version : Are multi hours really required??

daviesm
16th Apr 2001, 01:42
I am now close to finishing my training and applying to airlines. I have 220 hours TT but have minimal multi engine hours i.e. 30 ( made up of 8 from MEP course, 17 from IR course and 5 extras)
Would anyone suggest building multi hours BEFORE applying for jobs (bearing in mind the cost!) or do you think it is not very important to have multi hours in you TT?

Basically, is it essential to have many multi hours when applying to airlines??

Thanks guys

AffirmBrest
16th Apr 2001, 02:17
With only 220hrs, (assume you did a CAP509 or similiar 'approved' course), then you won't be hired by airlines for your TT. You will be hired by those that take low hour cadets for either low money, a long bond, or both. Even if you could afford an extra 100 twin hours (if so, why do you need a job?), the difference between 220hrs and 320hrs in the eyes of the airlines would be the square root of f*ck all.

I would suggest it is NOT worth paying any money to 'hour build' once you have your licence, unless you can afford the 1000 or so hours needed to demonstrate the difference between an OATS cadet (or suchlike) and an 'experienced' pilot.

Far better to spend the money on a FI rating so that if the airlines don't respond you have something to fall back on financially, and get your CV/hours improved for 'free' while you wait for a jet job.

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Luke SkyToddler
16th Apr 2001, 13:07
I agree - for the cost of 10 or 15 twin hours, you can get an FI rating and get paid to build your TT to some credible amount. The airlines aren't going to give a monkey's about an extra 10 twin hours that you went and bought (bearing in mind you will probably log twice that amount every week once you're working for them). However, that extra thousand hours of instructing that you have and the other guy doesn't, might just make that little bit of difference when it comes to dishing out the commands in two or three years time - certainly in the turboprop companies it will anyway.