PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory Advanced Reading

Matty Cooper
12th Nov 2012, 21:35
Recently I gained my PPL and I'm currently hour building towards the 100 hours P1, while doing the hour building I was wondering if there was any books worth reading to give me some knowledge for when I start the ATPL theory?

When I say advanced reading, I mean other than the actual ATPL theory books themselves, or would it be advisable to purchase them now and start reading while hour building?

Thanks in advance!

RichardH
13th Nov 2012, 07:25
Good to see you want to be ahead of the drag curve.

If you have already signed up to a course then see how you go with their material but I don't believe you are at stage yet.

Met underpins nearly everything in aviation and I would buy & read "Meteorology for Pilots" by Mike Wickson £16 to £25 paper back and covers full ATPL syllabus.

packo1848
13th Nov 2012, 16:48
Personally I've found a good rhythm studying the ATPL theory alongside my hour building. If the weathers good, go fly, if its poor, bury your head in the books, the flying gives a needed break from the monotony of some of the subjects. No reason why you couldn't grab the books now and finish your hour building and theory around the same time.

RTN11
16th Nov 2012, 19:13
If you have a PPL then you can start the theory course now (and so get the books/manuals from your provider).

You don't need to have 100 hours P1 prior to starting

Indeed, in fact you'd be far better leaving the bulk of your hour building until after your ground studies, so you can go straight from intensive flying to the CPL course, rather than coming out of a classroom having not flown for months and having to fly up to CPL standard.

pudoc
17th Nov 2012, 00:10
Whilst on the subject, any good books out there for brushing up on ATPL theory? Don't really want to carry my ATPL books about.

I have Ace the tech pilot interview, big waste of money. Any other suggestions?