PDA

View Full Version : The Job Hunt

shocks
12th Nov 2012, 11:05
Dear Reader,

I am on the job hunt, if you have any leads towards a career in aircraft engineering, I would like to hear them.

After graduating with a degree in Aircraft engineering from Kingston University and passing all required B1.1 exams including EWIS, HF initial and FTS 1 + 2. The past 4 months were spent working voluntarily maintaining light aircraft at Biggin Hill Airport. Prior to this as part of my degree I have completed three months of practical experience with KLM UK Engineering at Norwich Airport.

The job Hunt carries on good luck to anyone else out there in the same situation.

The90sAME
12th Nov 2012, 19:33
Without a license its getting increasingly hard to get into the trade, most airlines now want a Cat 'A' license as a minimum for all engineers.

The only unlicensed engineers airlines tend to hire are contractors, mainly to be cabin fitters, or to depanel aircraft on heavy checks, sometimes they do partake in actual mx work, i use actual loosely, it depends on your own definition of what 'actual' mx work is...

If you can get in as an unlicensed fitter / mechanic to get the required experience to apply for your b1.1, once you hold your b1, finding a job should be fairly easy.

Thats all i can say at the moment.

banditb6
12th Nov 2012, 20:08
How easy is it to go from being a licenced B1.2 Piston aeroplane engineer to becoming B1.1, apart from having to do the turbine exam module? Would any companies take you on to gain the 2 years experience? I've heard its easier going from piston to turbine rather than the other way around?

Could the OP not gain experience with the Biggin Hill lot to get the B1.2 licence and then try to get onto the heavies?

shocks
13th Nov 2012, 10:09
The idea of obtaining the CAT B1.2 license would be a sensible route for me, while job hunting for the type of jobs stated. Within the next year obtain my CAT A2 license could be realistic with the increasing workload at the hanger. Would the CAT A2 be considered equally for a contracting job?