PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Club

nickstraker
16th Jul 2001, 14:39
Having got your attention, would anyone out there kindly spend the time to provide me with some objective advice regarding the best means by which a 29 yr old ex police officer with a BA Hons in politics and economics might satisfy a burning desire to become an Airline Pilot. I have approx 60K equity in my house which I am prepared to sell if necessary. My main concerns are qualifying as quickly as possible with the best and most widely respected school.Also,having achieved frozen ATPL status what is my best next step for building up the necessary hours / experience for a position within one of the major Airlines? Thank you in advance for your time ;) ;)

Bunty Boy
16th Jul 2001, 15:04
There is an ad in Flight international this week for Oxford which points out a new part of their training program. They put you placements during your training with one of a few airlines and then after your training you get offered a job by them. Obvisouly they want the best people so you'll have to really excel in all your classes. Also, I recently got through the payment schedule for Oxfords training and the year course costs £53K. Ouch. Particularly ouch if you only have £60K and it's your house. However, thought you might be interested. If you don't already have it FI will be out tomorrow so take a look. 'Fraid I don't know a great deal about the other courses offered. Might be cheaper in the states though.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Bunty :)

mad_jock
16th Jul 2001, 15:11
When i was doing my brush up for the ATPL there were 3 police on there. And whenever i have been in FL there has always been one or 2 kicking around.

My advice would be get your class 1 med then get over to the US for a PPL to see if you have a knack for it. Study modular while still working and hour building during holiday time. Then take a career break when it come to the CPL/IR. You won't need 30K doing it this way and you will still have some income coming in. Class 1 first though before you comit yourself

Good luck

MJ

essex_boy
16th Jul 2001, 16:32
Oxford run monthly sems worth going will
give you an idea whats involved and cost
MJ right keep working,holiday in Florida
for your PPL try to keep your equity.modular
route is working well for me Good luck

EB