PDA

View Full Version : A380 Engine Shut down-CDG

Jetjock330
11th Nov 2012, 11:48
Out of interest, I read this on Avherald and few minutes ago:

Incident: Emirates A388 (http://avherald.com/h?article=458d2f36&opt=0) near Kosice on Nov 7th 2012, engine shut down in flight

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Nov 10th 2012 21:31Z, last updated Saturday, Nov 10th 2012 21:31ZAn Emirates Airbus A380-800, registration A6-EDO performing flight EK-201 from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to New York JFK,NY (USA), was enroute at FL340 about 30nm northeast of Kosice (Slovakia) when the crew shut the #4 engine (GP7270, outboard right hand) down. The aircraft set course in direction of Frankfurt/Main (Germany) descending to FL100, about 85nm east of Frankfurt the aircraft changed course to fly south around Frankfurt and divert to Paris (France). The aircraft landed safely on Charles de Gaulle Airport's runway 26R about 140 minutes after the engine was shut down.

A replacement Airbus A380-800 registration A6-EDM was dispatched from Dubai to Paris as flight EK-3073 and resumed flight EK-201 reaching New York with a delay of 12 hours.

A passenger reported the crew announced engine #4 had been shut down.

The incident aircraft was able to position to Dubai on Nov 8th as flight EK-7002 and resumed service about 35 hours after landing in Paris.

Perhaps there is more info on the shutdown???

mutt
12th Nov 2012, 02:35
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/500208-emirates-380-engine-fire-returns-sydney.html

This is taken from R&N.

Mutt

Jetjock330
12th Nov 2012, 03:32
Mello Mutt,
I later saw the same thing again published under another thread here somewhere.

I also see another engine failure out of Sydney with the Airbus A180 (one-eighty), and another engine failure/fire on the cripple seven going into Mumbai.

Something is not good, what's going on????

vinayak
12th Nov 2012, 04:11
380 making all the news.

clear to land
12th Nov 2012, 06:48
Ex 380, you must be happy that you can't 'technically' blame AB for an engine issue :) Interesting that these engines now seem to be following in the vein of the RR's though-hope they get it resolved soon, it is starting to become monotonous!

Left Coaster
12th Nov 2012, 07:01
Lots of issues lately with these engines...is EK maintenance able to keep up with the expansion of the airline? We all know that there has been a steady intake of pilots, is EK Engineering doing the same? Not stirring any pots here, just curious as it doesn't seem to get much attention here...I would hate to think that it might be a shortage of staff contributing to any problems...

flaphandlemover
12th Nov 2012, 07:05
Maybe our tec department saw a too big of cost cutting by the bean counters or A R ...
they are squeezed quite tight after he took control... not the best athmosphere there...

As always, the bean counters never been held responsible...

Jet II
12th Nov 2012, 08:30
Ah yes - but they do have very good IFE ;)

Easy Ryder
12th Nov 2012, 08:54
3 engine failures in a week? Time to stop cost cutting and hire a significant number of engineers. Those guys are so short in numbers it ain't funny.

Heard a whole bunch of QF engineers were just made redundant, hopefully some of them will plug the hole...:suspect:

Edit: Actually that's 4 failures in 10 days (330 in Zambia was it?!)

donpizmeov
13th Nov 2012, 01:03
Looks like. EK is going for the most engine shutdowns in month record. Be careful out there

The don

captainsmiffy
13th Nov 2012, 03:54
Doesnt the number of in-flight shutdowns impact directly on your ETOPS rating..?

Wizofoz
13th Nov 2012, 06:32
Doesnt the number of in-flight shutdowns impact directly on your ETOPS rating..?

Err...not for four engine aircraft....

fatbus
13th Nov 2012, 08:01
It does. It effects the overall rating of the Maint Dep.

Wizofoz
13th Nov 2012, 09:12
Really? Thanks-you learn something new every day!!

captainsmiffy
13th Nov 2012, 14:06
Ah good.....not such a stupid question then, eh, wiz?!!

captainsmiffy
13th Nov 2012, 14:54
Stands to reason if you think about it....an engine is unaware of whether it adorns the wing of a 2 or a 4 engined aeroplane. A failure is thus a failure and this does affect the ETOPS stats of an airline irrespective of how many engines were actually present. Engineering maintain their engines and by having good stats (as in in-flight shutdowns) then a longer ETOPS time is allowed. Start showing a poor or declining rate and the ETOPS time comes into question. Guess eyebrows will be raised here.....

glofish
13th Nov 2012, 17:22
For what it's worth, I heard that ETOPS-wise only in flight shut-downs on ETOPS sectors influence the statistics that might reduce the overall fleet ETOPS status.

That's why they always tell you NOT to shut down the engine, at least not in the ETOPS sector.

In the BOM-T7 case it seems typical: Maint gets notice of a deteriorating engine status, tells crew there's no problem (!!), to continue and to monitor the parameters, as shutting down now would have an impact.
Later on the engine starts getting the ****ters and the crew has to go emergency, but it's no longer in the ETOPS frame, so no one no longer cares .... the stats are satisfied, Maint did what they were supposed to do and the crew can now be blamed for not having shut down earlier ....

Might not be the exact case here, but you might get the drift.

Avid Aviator
13th Nov 2012, 23:55
I think you'll find IFSD stats are based on engine type, not aircraft or operator, for the purpose of ETOPS compliance.
A380 shouldn't affect B777 reliability figures.

Payscale
14th Nov 2012, 01:49
GLOFISH.......who are THEY?;)

glofish
14th Nov 2012, 02:16
Payscale

I get your drift.

It's simple: You're strongly advised to listen to 'them'.
They however always disclaim their advice instantly.
You do otherwise -> you're most probably in for t+b, even with a good outcome.
You follow their advice and it goes south -> you're in for t+b or six feet under.

I'm just saying that on your ETOPS sector you will rarely get the printout advising you to go ESD, but more often to drag it along in idle to the next airstrip ....

All for the stats!
For the very same reasons there are all these evil birds finding their way into Airbus engines ......

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 03:26
Gentlemen, we really need to put this 't and b' thing straight once and for all. You DONT get tea and biscuits if you screw up! That would just be tea....tea AND biscuits is for when you have earned some praise. Screw up and it is an interview WITHOUT tea and biscuits. Why do so many people misquote this?!

Mines a custard cream......

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 05:06
Actually, 380, am in an English managed airline pretty close to your heart.....! So the tea WITHOUT biccies is very much a part of our culture here!! Trust me, screw up and you will not be getting the Foxs nor the custard creams....!!

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 10:21
Gentlemen, backstabbing or not, the original expression has always been 'tea and no biccies' - think about it for one second with your 'thinking head' on. What company would b*ll*ck you and provide you with biscuits?! I rather think that all of you english-speaking cousins have bastardised the original expression into the complete opposite....

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 11:01
My my, dont we sound bitter.....?!

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 11:56
JAARule, guess that you need to go back to school if you struggle with scousers and yorkshiremen in their mother tongue.....BBC english (like what I speak) is only one dialect in a rich and varied language...as for the scots....suppose that I can sympathise with you on that score! We might get rid of them in an independence vote soon anyway!

Not your average pruner, though, that bandies 'mellifluous' about....did you have to look it up?

Oceanic
14th Nov 2012, 14:02
Smiffy et al, I think 'mellifluous' is commonly used in the context of script whereas 'dulcet' would be more apt in this context referring to a discussion over tea and biccies. As for the biscuits, McVities rich tea bisuits I would think would be for a bollocking whereas Hobnobs (or maybe Tim Tams for our Aussie colleagues) for when you've earned some praise, although I used to be partial to custard creams.

captainsmiffy
14th Nov 2012, 19:23
...clearly a man of taste.....

stealthpilot
14th Nov 2012, 20:02
Doesnt the number of in-flight shutdowns impact directly on your ETOPS rating..? Yes, but I believe it's focused on engine type. So a 77L IFSD would be like a 77W, but a GP powered (or RR..) 380 engine conk shouldn't affect an airlines 777 etops certification.
It could be aircraft type, hopefully someone else will chime in.

bidabon
15th Nov 2012, 03:42
ETOPS on a 380, hum, interesting concept I have to say ....
:E:E:E

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 04:08
Nobody has said anything about ETOPS on a 380.....the question is this; since it is the SAME engineering department overseeing massive fleets of both 2 and 4 engined a/c, does the in-flight shutdown rate on one fleet affect the ETOPS category on another?! They are, after all, looked after by the same people.....any clearer?

I think that it is a fair question so lets not all join in thinking that we know nothing about ETOPS!!

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 05:42
Whoa.....that is factually inaccurate, sir! Post #21, by glofish, specifically refers first to tea and biscuits!

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 05:50
Sorry, think that I misunderstood the point of your last post! Ignore my last.

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 05:53
Actually, in one sense you are right in that I know nothing about tea and biscuits.....in the many years that I have been aviating, I have never been called in for tea either with or without biscuits! (but I do know others that were....and when it was a b*ll*cking there were never biscuits on the table!).

donpizmeov
15th Nov 2012, 05:58
I think the important thing we have learnt here is that if called into the office, try and determine what sort of biscuit will, or will not be served. If cream centred or Choc dipped, you should be ok. If not, dust the CV off.

As for ETOPS (engines turn or people swim? I forget?) it won't be such a big thing for EK as more maxi buses arrive to do the real work. Perhaps the odd 120 min sector to southern India or SEY perhaps. Do freighters operate under this rule?

The don

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 06:54
Ah, a real connosieur of biscuits! Love the 120 mins comments!

captainsmiffy
15th Nov 2012, 12:43
Taking your own tea and biccies...probably the most sensible thing said on this forum in a while....! Obviously a CRM instructor.....

givemewings
15th Nov 2012, 12:47
Hey you lot better be careful making jokes about each other's planes on this forum, you might run into this guy out on line... :E

Dubai motorist ran over woman he thought was laughing at his car - The National (http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/courts/dubai-motorist-ran-over-woman-he-thought-was-laughing-at-his-car#ixzz2CHXeilis)