PDA

View Full Version : Google image search function.

Pelikal
10th Nov 2012, 11:45
Hello all, I've been tempted to try the Google image search function whereby one uploads an image from ones computer or a site and Google attempts a match, rather than searching by a text query.

Has anybody tried this, does it work and how secure is it? Just a bit wary of trying it out. Thanks in advance.

P.

mixture
10th Nov 2012, 14:26
Has anybody tried this, does it work and how secure is it?

Yes, not really, and as secure/private as you'd expect Google to be ... i.e. don't upload stuff you wouldn't want in the public domain (Google tend to use information from one system to develop features in others... so there is the very high chance of, at the very least, a handful of Google employees seeing what you've uploaded).

But the Google Image search itself (as opposed to the reverse search you are talking about) can sometimes be surprisingly good, unfortunately not always though, its got some way to go before it reaches the heady heights of its text search elder brother !

Pelikal
10th Nov 2012, 16:01
Ok thanks. I have some vintage posters that I want to identify but have been unable to do so. Perhaps it could work for these, there's nothing 'dodgy' about the subject matter. Cheers.

mike-wsm
10th Nov 2012, 16:24
Post them on JB, the collective age of participants runs into thousands of years, success, humour, and good-natured ribaldry assured. :ok:

Pelikal
15th Nov 2012, 15:49
A sort of update. The photos of the posters are mine and have never been on the web, so an exact match would be impossible. Just wondered if I may get a similiar match to guide me as to their origin.

I tried both suggestions, Google and TinEye, on an existing web image and was surprised at the accuracy of the results. Both even took into account different crops and sizes, and even fairly major adjustments to the image.

As regards my posters, TinEye found nothing, not surprising really. Google offered suggestions but way off the mark. It did match to the overall tone and colour of my image. Given there are flesh tones in the image, some results were a bit risqué to say the least!

Mike, I may try your suggestion and post on JB, probably in the pointless/boring thread. Can't see it warrants a new thread. Thanks to all for pointers.