PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Navigation

Romeo81
9th Nov 2012, 21:55
Hi guys

I have studied AFT material for ANAV and I was going quite well I thought. The first time I sat Nav, I was getting around 80% pass mark on the practice exams AFT have, so I sat the casa exam and I faiiled. After failing Nav once, I really put in a big effort and reviewed all AFT notes and admittedly picked up a few things I made mistakes on in the casa exam. So, after studying again and more practice exams with results from the online exams of AFT around 90-100%, I thought I was ready to roll. Guess what... Fail again.

Has anyone say Nav Lately with the same problem??

I think Casa may have changed a lot of the type of questions they ask now. What books have you found to be the best to get you over the line?
Thanks
Romeo

ebby1028
11th Nov 2012, 07:22
Romeo,
Was there any questions on the CASA exam which were not covered in AFT's material? Any that took you by surprise? Sitting the exam soon and need all the help I can get. Was it tailored around a specific area of the study material. Cheers

emeritus
11th Nov 2012, 09:10
Just a thought and admittedly it is 45 yrs since I sat ATPL.

It used to be a speed/accuracy exam and it was impossible to answer all the questions completely accurately. One therefore had to know where one had to be accurate and where one could make a quick calculation. This therefore demonstrated one knew where one had to be accurate and where one did not.

Could this be your problem ?

When I sat Flt Planning, I wrongly used G/S instead of TAS for a major calculation and did not discover this until much further into the question which was about 30% of the marks.

I left the calculations as was and wrote a note at side of calculations explaining the error and what I should have done. Ended up with mark of 93%, so few if any marks were deducted.

Also our lecturer knew the examiner at the time and said he had been told that a lot of examinees lost marks because the examiner could not follow the calculations made to answer the question.

So..very important...make your calculations readable and explain what you are calculating. H I H.

Emeritus

michael36
11th Nov 2012, 10:57
unfortunately now a days all exams are done on computers with only multi choice answers. So there is no opportunity to show your working. If a question is worth 5 marks and you pick a,b,c,d incorrectly then you lose all the marks.

training wheels
11th Nov 2012, 12:11
Wow, calculators were around in the 60's? I remember in the early 70's my dad had a calculator which he kept in the top cupboard. None of us kids were allowed to touch it because it was too valuable. My how times have changed.

I did ATPL Nav in 2006 using AFT and was quite amazed how close the practice exams were to the actual CASA exam. I remember there was one question that used an NDB in WA as a fix, but that NDB had been decommisioned which made the question redundant. And if I remember correctly there was even one question which repeated the same choice (eg, choice A and C were the same). Ah the joys of sitting ATPL exams.

I suggest you get in touch with team at AFT. I believe their policy is to continue supporting you until you pass. Good luck.

Arch Angelos
14th Nov 2012, 04:05
G'day Romeo81,

I sat this one back in August and have recently finished my ATPLs. For theharder 4 exams (APLA, ANAV, AFPA and AASA) I would highly recommend the RobAvery practise exams to supplement your AFT material.

Both are invaluable preparation, but the reason why I think you should dothe Avery exams is that I found them extremely long and very difficult tofinish (which was basically how I found myself in both the Nav and Flightplanning CASA exams finishing with literally 30 seconds to spare).

From memory the exam is roughly 50-50 theory and practical questions withthe theory questions being one markers. All those theory 1 markers I had seenalready be it from the Avery exams or AFT exams (or seen a question similar).

With the practical questions, focus on those areas you know you will getquestions on for example, there will almost certainly be a large off track PNRinvolving you to take a guess at the PNR and work towards an answer, an ETPquestion and almost certainly one of those nasty glide slope ones.

(Again, I found Avery's exams to be an on pat standard to CASA exam indifficulty)

Work through the exam in chronological order (i.e. 1s, 2s, 3s etc.) anddivide up your times in terms of a minutes/mark basis. If you haven't got ananswer move on an come back to it later.

All the best with it,

AA.

Username here
14th Apr 2013, 00:05
How many questions are there in the CASA Nav exam?

Just did a Rob Avery practice exam and was very pressed for time!

Has anyone else studied with AFT, then fell quite stressed after attempting Rob's practice exams?

I suddenly feel quite unprepared!

PPRuNeUser0163
14th Apr 2013, 01:09
Yes guys, this is a time critical exam.
I found it to be anyways!

The questions which will occupy your time most are the map ones, ie the cp calcs and the pnr ones as they involve alot of calcs/map work.

Also dont overlook the time/utc/local conversion questions as they often seem easy but are worth 2-3 marks and can be confusing if the question is worded a little weird (which is just about every casa exam question!)

I started the exam backwards from the 3/4 markers with map questions working up towards the 1 markers. That is my advice, that way if you get short on time you have aced the 3/4 markers (hopefully!) and if you miss a few 1 markers or fall short of time you can take an educated guess or if you really dont have the time to even click the box, you lose say 1/2 marks vs 4+.

Expect around 25-30 qs from memory! RTFQ 3 times, unfortunately this seems to keep being overlooked (myself included during atpls!)
Hope that helps!

good luck

Username here
15th Apr 2013, 12:05
Thanks mate,

Quick question to the floor: re Theoretical range of VHF aids. According to AFT notes you work out the receiver range and add it to the range of the aid.

I just did a Rob Avery Exam where the answer was to minus the height of the transmitter from your altitude and use that height in the formula.

Both methods are completely 180 degrees out from each other!

Which one does CASA use?

Cheers.

drpixie
16th Apr 2013, 12:08
Username here re. range.

AIP specifies navaid range and I don't recall the exam being anything other than what's in AIP, though that was a couple of years ago. I'll be amazed if CASA ask for anything contrary to what's in their docs - though I have been amazed before :)

VICTATPY
4th May 2020, 22:16
Thanks mate,

Quick question to the floor: re Theoretical range of VHF aids. According to AFT notes you work out the receiver range and add it to the range of the aid.

I just did a Rob Avery Exam where the answer was to minus the height of the transmitter from your altitude and use that height in the formula.

Both methods are completely 180 degrees out from each other!

Which one does CASA use?

Cheers.
this... dead thread but did you get any questions on it