View Full Version : Hainan Airlines - New recruitment requirement

Lee
9th Nov 2012, 11:20
Friday, Nov 09, 2012
What does it take to become a pilot? You would think perfect vision, good height and an excellent command of English would cut it. But, apparently not for one Chinese airline.

On top of all that, Hainan Airlines requires its pilot hopefuls to be free of body odour.

The airline sparked controversy after it reportedly had a zero-body-odour requirement in its pilot recruitment tests.

At interviews, company staff would apparently go up-close to sniff pilot applicants' bare armpits for any bad smells.

“I passed everything, but I was doomed by my armpits, which are always a bit whiffy,” said one of the applicants who got rejected.

Company officials claim that plane staff often interact with the public and passengers do not want to deal with someone's body odour during their trip, especially not an employee of the airline they are flying with.

"Our staff works very closely with the public, and no passenger wants to smell a pilot’s armpits," said an airline staff in an online Chinese media report.

The airline also claims that the odour test is a good stress management indicator. The same airline spokesperson said: "If they can keep their cool in this test, they aren’t going to sweat in the cockpit.”

According to AOL News, China has recently recruited thousands of airline personnel and the aviation industry is drastically increasing its training standards.

Do you think the hygiene requirement is a good or bad move?

slyde55
10th Nov 2012, 22:21
What next, crotch smell, dandruff check or dirty fingernails? I'd say most of the pax in back would fail the same test miserably. No, just another box to not check for an expat my friend...:ugh:

captjns
11th Nov 2012, 01:25
No BO in cockpit has my vote!:ok:

Had an FO with such a foul odor reaking from across the cockpit, I made him take a trip to the loo to rectify his personal malfunction.

A-3TWENTY
12th Nov 2012, 09:55
:ok::ok::ok:

GE90-115B
12th Nov 2012, 11:39
No BO in cockpit has my vote!

Had an FO with such a foul odor reaking from across the cockpit, I made him take a trip to the loo to rectify his personal malfunction.

lol was it the turbulence ? or ur landing on the last leg ;)

focault
12th Nov 2012, 19:33
I don't know about body odor, but make sure you have your shoes shining while screening.

USMCProbe
13th Nov 2012, 05:13
New requirements? Welcome to China for those interested. There are "new" requirements, medical checks, checkrides every month or two. The Chinese do this to fix a problem they think they have. To fix the problem, some must fail these requirements.

You have heard of Russian Roulette? The Chinese version is much riskier. At my airline we lost 20% of our expats for medical in the first 10 months of this year. Of those still here, another 20% lost at least 3 months pay due to lost medical, that they passed later. Another has been out more than 3 months for a mistake. That is just the ones I know about personally. There might be more.

captjns
14th Nov 2012, 00:24
Anywhere else in the world (FAA, JAR), I never failed a medical yet.

FAA and JAA renewal medicals are not as in depth as Chinese, M/E, or India.

airdualbleedfault
19th Nov 2012, 08:13
Ironic that Hainan, an airline and employer that stinks, requires applicants to be B/O free.
If they make no bad breath a requirement they'll have no crew whatsoever

JammedStab
19th Nov 2012, 12:29
Friday, Nov 09, 2012
What does it take to become a pilot? You would think perfect vision, good height and an excellent command of English would cut it. But, apparently not for one Chinese airline.

On top of all that, Hainan Airlines requires its pilot hopefuls to be free of body odour.

The airline sparked controversy after it reportedly had a zero-body-odour requirement in its pilot recruitment tests.

At interviews, company staff would apparently go up-close to sniff pilot applicants' bare armpits for any bad smells.

“I passed everything, but I was doomed by my armpits, which are always a bit whiffy,” said one of the applicants who got rejected.

Do you think the hygiene requirement is a good or bad move?

What about flatulence.