PDA

View Full Version : Payrise time!

SMOC
9th Nov 2012, 06:22
Cathay cabin crew seek 5% rise (http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/englishnews/20121108/news_20121108_56_881581.htm)

Cathay Pacific's Flight Attendants Union is seeking a five percent pay rise for the coming year. It's also demanding the airline halt its plan to hire crew overseas in its "cross base flying" scheme.

The union's chairwoman, Dora Lai, said the trial scheme would affect job opportunities and promotion prospects locally. The union has asked Labour Party lawmaker Lee Cheuk-Yan to raise the issue in Legco later this month.

Ms Lai said the call for a five percent wage rise took into account various factors including inflation, Cathay's performance and the pay demands of other unions.

broadband circuit
9th Nov 2012, 12:40
I do believe our "no payrise demand" window ends in the 2nd quarter of 2013......

AnAmusedReader
9th Nov 2012, 12:48
Not so. The last deal said no raises before the end of agreed period, April 2013. There's nothing to stop a claim going in before then.

SMOC
9th Nov 2012, 12:52
Plus it's not like the company follow through on deals honorably!

SMOC
11th Nov 2012, 11:42
Cathay Pacific flight attendants union seeks 'realistic' pay increase of 5 pc | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1078074/cathay-pacific-flight-attendants-union-seeks-realistic-pay-increase-5)

Cathay Pacific's flight attendants' union is calling for a "realistic" pay rise of 5 per cent for next year - one of the smallest increases sought in recent years.

Dora Lai Yuk-sim, chairwoman of the Flight Attendants Union, said it was aware that the airline's business performance had not been optimistic this year.

"We have taken into consideration the company's business performance and we hope the company can seriously think about our demands," Lai said.

The airline reported a HK$935-million loss in the first half of the year, compared with a HK$2.8-billion profit during the same period a year earlier.

The union called for an 8 per cent pay rise for this year but was eventually given 5 per cent. Cathay Pacific awarded an increase of 4.5 per cent last year, to the union's dissatisfaction. It threatened to take industrial action over the Lunar New Year holiday but did not carry out the threat.

The 6,000-strong union also listed 13 other demands in a proposal recently submitted to the airline's management. It is calling for a year-end bonus of one month and the scrapping of a cross-base flying scheme for non-Hong Kong cabin crew that it fears may see local workers gradually replaced.

The union's general secretary, Tsang Kwok-fung, said he was aware that many companies in Hong Kong referred to pay rises awarded by Cathay Pacific when deciding on their own increases, but the union decided to ask for 5 per cent to be "realistic" after consulting its members.

The union will meet with the airline's management today to discuss the matter. A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said the airline had regular discussions with the union and its cabin crew on various topics. She said the carrier met with the union annually towards the end of the year to discuss its requests and the dialogue was continuing.

Meanwhile, human resources consultancy ECA International expected wages for Hong Kong's office workers to increase by 4.5 per cent next year, the same rate as this year. The figure is slightly lower than the global average of 5.5 per cent.

Taking inflation into account, the forecast increase would be 1.5 per cent, compared to 0.7 per cent this year, according to an ECA survey of 115 companies in Hong Kong.

mngmt mole
8th Dec 2012, 08:33
I think the company will cave on the cabin crews demands. At the very least they will get close to 5%. Soooo, what are WE going to do next? I saw in the SCMP this past week that the average pay rise in HK this coming year will be 10% (yes, TEN...). We need to hit this hard.

SMOC
11th Dec 2012, 00:14
The 2% pay rise for cabin crew is only for hourly crew looks like a typical B scale pay rise, nothing for A.

So expect C scale pay rises and nil for B in the future. :mad:

boxjockey
11th Dec 2012, 02:19
Funny, when the Co. scared many of our colleagues onto C scale recently, one of the main reasons stated was because the Co. told them no payrises anymore for Bscale. Funny enough, I indeed did get a payrise on Bscale, while keeping all of the other niceties in my contract. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....

box