PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express as default mail program

Binoculars
12th Apr 2002, 14:04
I am having difficulty making OE my default mail program again. After something I did, I now get a message which tells me OE is not my default, would I like to make it so? Yes, please, I answer dutifully, then get the same message next time I enter the program.

Right then, into OE/Tools/Options/Default Message Programs; This program is not currently your default. Make default? Yes, please, I say politely. I exit and go back into options, only to find "This program is not currently your default............... etc". Hmmm. But I just MADE you the default!

OK, next step, into Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Programs. No sign of Outlook Express to choose from. I installed Outlook to see if Express was part of it. Nope, Outlook appeared but nothing else. Remove Outlook and absolutely nothing appears in the drop down menu, and you can't type anything in. Grrrrr. (Outlook Express still appears as my default program for newsgroups)

My OE icon on the task bar still works, as does the program. I just can't make it my default. How do I make it appear as an option in the Internet Options/Programs menu?

:confused:

Edited for beer.

PaperTiger
12th Apr 2002, 18:06
Don't seem to see the same menu paths on my IE6.0 here.
I go Tools,Internet Options, then the Programs tab and the second entry is E-Mail. The drop down contains all the 'readers' currently installed. Sure you're not somehow selecting IE instead of OE ?

Binoculars
13th Apr 2002, 04:36
Sorry Tiger, got my programs mixed up due to beer, have now edited it, but the problem remains the same. There is nothing to choose from in my drop down menu under email, and no facility to enter one or browse for one.

Just in case it gives anybody any hints, when I click Read Mail on the Mail button on the Explorer toolbar, nothing happens, but I assume that's because the required path is missing, as per para 1. :rolleyes:

Where does Outlook Express come from, by the way? Windows, Office, the Stork? How do I reinstall it in other words?

PaperTiger
13th Apr 2002, 07:21
First check if OE is already installed. Start, Settings, Control Programs, Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to see if it's in the list. For gawd's sake don't click anything except Cancel :-) .

If not you need to go get it. It's free from Microsoft (if their site responds !) or a bunch of other places - do a google search.
If OE is already installed, then fire it up and click Help, About to see what version. It might be incompatible.

Binoculars
14th Apr 2002, 04:07
In case anybody is interested, I gave up and uninstalled IE6. It reverted to IE5 and the problem is solved. Never liked 6 anyway. Looks like I'll just have to put up with the internet banking problem. :(

mainfrog2
14th Apr 2002, 21:19
Binoculars

From your above post it seems you finally got fed up.

To check if you've still got OE installed go to Add/Remove programs menu and click on windows options.

Check the list, if there is a tick next to Outlook Express clear it and press OK. Windows will uninstall it.

Now repeat the above but this time put a tick next to OE and press OK.

Windows should reinstall it from its own files.
(shouldn't need a disk or anything as the files required are contained in the Windows O/s

Thats for Windows 98 etc.

If you've got XP I ain't got a clue.