PDA

View Full Version : Zaon MRX - Not detecting local squawk

CruiseAttitude
8th Nov 2012, 15:54
Hi all,

I have just picked up a Zaon MRX. I have not flown with it yet. However, from what I can tell, it appears to be detecting traffic correctly (from the ground).

I took it to the aeroplane earlier and powered up the transponder just to see if it would link and display the local squawk and FL, but the MRX just indicated '0000' on the local squawk page, indicating that it had not linked.

The transponder is a reasonably new Trig TT31 mode-S unit which is working perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

stevelup
8th Nov 2012, 16:04
Do you know if your transponder was actually transponding....

Unless it gets hit by a radar signal, it won't do anything, and there will therefore be nothing for the MRX to detect. It's possible that you were out of line of sight of any radar station whilst sat on the ground.

Watch the 'reply indicator' on the transponder display and see if it's actually blinking.

CruiseAttitude
8th Nov 2012, 16:28
Oh of course. Thanks Steve, that's probably it.

I'll have another look when I go flying this weekend.

piperboy84
8th Nov 2012, 16:43
How are you going to power your PCS? the reason i ask is i have a xrx and tried using the fag lighter in the plane but for some reason the unit kept shutting off even though it was getting continuous power, i switched to running it of a portable battery unit and it works fine, let me know how you get on.

CruiseAttitude
8th Nov 2012, 17:00
Hi Piper,

I have a lighter socket adapter for the MRX but I have not tried it yet, I think I will stick to batteries for now.

The MRX runs on 2x AA batteries, so I'm just using some regular Energizer NiMH rechargeables and will carry a second pair in my flight bag and change batteries as needed between legs on longer trips.

It seems to work for about 4.5hrs+ before needing new batteries.

I imagine the power draw on the XRX would be higher though. Have you seen these?
Zaon Flight Systems - All (http://www.zaon.aero/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,63/)

piperboy84
8th Nov 2012, 17:05
Thats the one i have, they were expensive but last for ever

dublinpilot
8th Nov 2012, 17:46
Isn't there also something about mode s transponders not transmitting until after takeoff which they detect by means such as sensors on the landing gear to ground speed exceeding certain values?

I coud be misremembering but was sure that that was part of the system.

Maoraigh1
8th Nov 2012, 19:54
detect by means such as sensors on the landing gear
When we fitted a Trig, we didn't fit landing gear sensors. The lift off and climb out airspeed bears no relation to the ground speed due to wind. And our trig has a ground mode for airfields with ground radar.