PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Memory Expansion

Fujiflyer
12th Apr 2002, 13:33
I have a laptop PC (466MHz Celeron), purchased from Novatech in May 2000 (manufactured by Mitac). It has 64Mb of RAM of which I'd like to increase.

The manual spec' states that the RAM supplied is "32MB SSDRAM on-board, expandable to 160MB with one 3.3V 144pin DIM SDRAM module." In actual fact it came with 64Mb. I do not know what the motherboard bus speed is.

Please could someone tell me what capacity I should buy. Am I limited to a 64Mb module or will a 128Mb type work? Presumably most memory is supplied at 3.3V these days.

Here's a picture of the compartment available in the unit:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/535d052a/bc/My+Photos/Laptop+Expansion+Space.jpg?bccn0B9AilVCLv.w

Help appreciated,

Fujiflyer

Jet II
12th Apr 2002, 15:11
Go to:

www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp

and fill in the online form, they will then tell you exactly what memory is compatible with your laptop.

:D

Fujiflyer
12th Apr 2002, 17:00
Thanks Jet II

The site for which you gave me the URL recognised all my machine's details. Unfortunately the website photo of the intended part (a SODIMM with an edge type connector) does not match the socket in the which I thought it was meant to. :(

Presumably I am incorrect with regard to this location being where it is supposed to fit. However I cannot find any suitable sockets despite dismantling the unit.

Fujiflyer :( :confused: :(

stagger
12th Apr 2002, 18:40
In my experience Crucial have always got it right - in terms of sending the right module for the machine specified. Overnight delivery and a good returns policy.

You presume correctly - that ain't the place to be putting memory modules. Looks a bit like a mini-pci slot on the left but I'm not sure.

Without knowing the layout of your laptop it's not possible for me to say where you can find the SODIMM slot - have a nose around.

RadarContact
12th Apr 2002, 19:01
The manual spec' states that the RAM supplied is "32MB SSDRAM on-board, expandable to 160MB with one 3.3V 144pin DIM SDRAM module." In actual fact it came with 64Mb. I do not know what the motherboard bus speed is.

My guess would be that you got the basic model already equipped with an additional 32MB-Module. So start looking for that and then you know what your replacement should look like :)

FL310
12th Apr 2002, 20:12
this picture is taken from underneath the laptop, i had once a Mtac laptop on my desk and replaced the CD-ROM with a DVD-CD-ROM and if memory is correct, the RAM sits somewhere below your "Y" key just below the keyboard.

Take a fine screwdriver and place it between the F1 key and the frame and tilt it slightly, that releases the little notch there, the same procedure at the INSERT key and the keyboard comes off...
There may be a protective alloy sheet screwed to the laptop below the keyboard, remove it and there you should see the RAM.
I assume you guessed already that the Notebook should be switched off...

Fujiflyer
12th Apr 2002, 21:36
Thanks to all for the help. I appreciate the effort you have collectively taken in replying to my posting.

RadarContact: You were absolutely correct - when I eventually found the RAM expansion area (under the CPU heatsink assembly, which I had to remove) there was a 32Mb SODIMM.

I'll now try and obtain a 128Mb SODIMM to take the total up to 160MB.

Fujiflyer :)

Fujiflyer
19th Apr 2002, 22:45
I've now successfully upgraded my system to 160Mb by substituting the installed 32Mb SoDimm with a 128Mb specimen.:)

Now that I have this module as surplus (32Mb 144pin PC100 3.3V SoDimm) if anyone out there can make use of it please send me an email. (Freebee :D :D :D )

Fujiflyer