PDA

View Full Version : Loans... I need some info please

Ian_Wannabe
16th Jul 2001, 02:17
Hi!
After going to the Flyer seminar I've just had a nice long talk with my dad about doing my PPL in the next 2 years, and in the summer holidays so I can do a full time course.

The only concern is the price, as always :-). I need £4,300 to come from somewhere!!

My dad says he'll do what he can to help with the payment, but at the seminar there were talks about loans. However these only seemed to concern the career development loans for funding a commercial licence.

Therefor I was wondering, does anyone know of a loan that would cover the costs of doing a PPL with the prospect of a flying career??

Whilst I’m here too, can I ask how everyone else got the money for a PPL, I’m only 16 so I can’t go in for a full time job because I have my A-levels coming up. So it’s proberly gonna be lots of part time jobs on the go!

Many thanks!
Ian

Mr Benn
16th Jul 2001, 02:44
I think you might be stumped because of your age. I believe you can use a CDL towards the PPL if you tell them its the first part of your Commercial Licence course.
Also, there are scholarships available. Air League offer one. Other ways into flying are to get into gliding (most big clubs have a cadet scheme, where you do a little work and get very cheap gliding). Having a gliding "licence" used to mean it only took 15 hours to do a PPL, I am not sure the exact requirements with the new JAA stuff, but call the British Gliding Association in Leicester for the info (01162 531051).
Otherwise, you might want to consider learning abroad, full time, in the US for example, where its a little bit cheaper. Or just con your dad into lending you the dosh! Perhaps you could get your dad interested in flying and then he'd be keen to get you into it too....

Just some ideas.

Ian_Wannabe
16th Jul 2001, 03:00
Hahaha, getting my dad into it could be a good and cleaver idea! :D :D

I was told microlites and gliding are meant to be less expensive, however with the prospect of going onto getting a commercial licence would I be at any disadvantage with having experience on a glider rather than a light aircraft?
Or doesn't it matter??
Also are the licences different in any way?

Tthe learning to fly abroard sounds better and I've been advised about that. The only concern with that is the heafty price of converting the US licence into a UK one.

Do you have any links with any information on this?

Thanks again for your input!
Ian

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe ...... argh I can't spell!]

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: Ian_Wannabe ]