PDA

View Full Version : Visiting KHIO (Portland, OR)

cloudclimber
5th Nov 2012, 03:18
Hi there, I am planning to fly from Bellingham KBLI to KHIO (Portland, Oregon). I am planning to fly over Olympia (WA) and then go directly to HIO. However, that means I have to make a steep descend from the mountains in the north of the airport on my approach. Is there a better approach to the airport? What is the common approach people use if visiting from the north?

Thanks,

MarkerInbound
5th Nov 2012, 13:52
Oh woe is me, I'll have to lose 2500 feet in 10 miles if I cruise at 3500 from Kelso to HIO. I don't know what you're planning to fly but that'll be about a 500 fpm descent at 120 kts.

Put down your GPS and look at a map. The Columbia river runs from Portland to Kelso. If you can't handle descending 500 fpm, just fly down the river and turn right before you get to PDX.

cloudclimber
5th Nov 2012, 16:23
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I will probably follow the river when I am within 10 miles. I just want to avoid PDX as far as possible.

Another thing though, where can I find information on the frequency to use if I want updated weather report ahead?

westhawk
6th Nov 2012, 04:27
Is this proposed flight real or simulated?

obgraham
6th Nov 2012, 04:50
Just ask for VFR flight following. They will likely take you right over PDX midfield, then send you on your way to HIO. Worked for me several times.