PDA

View Full Version : Any chance by going to a "normal" school

wecrashlanded
4th Nov 2012, 17:34
Hey guys,

I'm not going to turn this into a modular vs. integrated debate. But, in all honesty, do I have much chance of making it to a legacy carrier either here, or on the continent, by attending a school that isn't THAT well known? Being too poor to attend these fancy, big-name schools like Oxford, FTE, and the like, I was hoping to do something like attend Bartolini Air in Poland, or something similar. From what I have read on here, it has a pretty good rep, but do I hold a hope in hell of seeing myself at BA/Virgin/Lufthansa..etc, etc?

Cheers

MCDU2
4th Nov 2012, 18:34
The short answer is you stand little or no chance going to a modular school if your ambition is to get straight into one of the legacy airlines eg: BA. All recruitment for national/legacy airlines is through integrated courses or mentored schemes run through the likes of Oxford/FTE or CTC.

Later on once you are experienced with a few thousand hours under your belt on a relevant aircraft type then you have every chance of getting into one of the big airlines irrespective of where you trained.

Having said that.....I would be more concerned that you have formed an opinion of a school in Poland (presumably on cost alone - never EVER a good idea) based on what you have read on pprune.

grafity
4th Nov 2012, 20:34
If you want to get straight into BA I presume the best way to do it would be get on their Future Pilot Program. Easier said than done but that seems to be their method of employing. Lufthansa? How's your German?

portos8
6th Dec 2012, 10:23
I guess your not asking if you will go straight to an airline, but whether you will ever be able to get into an airline.

At the moment the thing that counts is hours. To get hours you need a CPL. Get the CPL cheap in an EASA country, get an instructor rating or go hour building in Africa. After 1000 hours try to invest the money you saved by going to a not so expensive flightschool in a rating that is relevant at that time.

Many pilots have gone this route and after a few years in GA you ofcourse too will have chances to land an airline position.

I believe experience will always valued.