PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Goose At BK?

Flyer517
4th Nov 2012, 08:58
Hi All

I saw what I think is a Grumman Goose at Bankstown today, parked near the Air Ag hanger. Pretty airplane.

Am I right about the identification and does anyone know anything about it (who owns it, why it's at BK, etc, etc)?

I couldn't spot a rego anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Flyer

b747heavy
4th Nov 2012, 09:20
Could well be wrong, but believe its owned by Geoff Hunt from DRW? And believe it was going through a rebuild of sorts...

SmoothCriminal
4th Nov 2012, 09:48
Hey B747Heavy.., How's it hangin :}

It can't be the Hunt one, his 'tross is still in a hangar with an arm missing, will crack a bottle of bubbles if that ever fly's again ! , unless he's got a Goose ! :E

If this one is a Goose.,., dunno

But recently a radial Mallard has migrated in and bumming around based out of Qld

Smoothie ....:ok:

goin'flyin
4th Nov 2012, 10:27
747 is correct. GH purchased the Goose. At that stage it hadn't turned a blade in years. I believe it is getting close to be ready to fly home to Darwin

Flyer517
4th Nov 2012, 10:32
Thanks gents.

If only I had some lazy $$$$$ lying around.:)

Engineer_aus
5th Nov 2012, 12:38
N121GL was the old rego, photo in Australian Aviation I think it was.

Trojan1981
12th Nov 2012, 22:50
It is absolutely beautiful too. GH, whoever that is, is a very lucky man :ok:

weloveseaplanes
14th Nov 2012, 02:32
WoW!

A Goose flying downunder.

Any idea what he plans to do with her?

Timber
14th Nov 2012, 07:07
He could try flying it, or landing on Lake Argyle maybe?

Flyer517
15th Nov 2012, 01:48
Yes definitely a gorgeous airplane. Had a closer look inside over the weekend and I could easily see myself island hopping around the south pacific in that thing. Lucky man.

weloveseaplanes
15th Nov 2012, 21:33
Nice.

Any other Gooses flying in OZ?

Flyer517
16th Nov 2012, 03:30
Shouldn't that be "geese"? :)

Capt Fathom
16th Nov 2012, 03:47
Any other Gooses flying in OZ

Lots! :E

havick
16th Nov 2012, 04:02
Anyone care to post any pictures of it on here?

weloveseaplanes
17th Nov 2012, 23:19
Shouldn't that be "geese"?

Nope. Gooses is correct.

Refer :

The Flying Boat Forum from www.seawings.co.uk • View topic - Hall PH 3 (http://theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13&start=20)

Grumman Goose [Archive] - Airline Pilot Central Forums (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/archive/index.php/t-40421.html)

The Grumman Goose is a classic aircraft, but what's will take the aging plane's place? | Alaska Dispatch (http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/grumman-goose-replacing-alaska-aviation-legend?page=0,0)

http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index.php?topic=31650.0;wap2

We all have to learn sometime ;)

Flyer517
18th Nov 2012, 22:33
If it's still there over the weekend Havick and I get a chance I will snap a few pics and post them here.

tail wheel
18th Nov 2012, 23:33
Anyone care to post any pictures of it on here?

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/320/320814.jpg

If only I had some lazy $$$$$ lying around.

You would need far more than "some lazy $$$$$" to keep that 68 year old amphibian in the air! Like lots, and lots, and lots, until you have no more tears to shed!

Nice to look at, not at all nice to own..........

Trojan1981
18th Nov 2012, 23:45
Nice to look at, not at all nice to own..........

Due corrosion? I have some understanding of the painful nature of maintaining old aircraft with shallow pockets, but are these worse than others for this reason?

They are very nice to look at. In my dreams I'd be cruising the Pacific in a PT-6 powered Goose... in my dreams :( .

T28D
19th Nov 2012, 00:59
There is a N registered Grumman Albatros at YPJT now that is a real sea plane definitely not a lake plane.

Trojan1981
19th Nov 2012, 01:44
There's a Catalina in YWOL, and it's got guns; now that's a seaplane! :E

tail wheel
19th Nov 2012, 04:03
Due corrosion?

Not necessarily. I've heard some horror stories about keeping Gruman amphibian electrics and avoinics working, probably compounded by low and intermttant utilisation. After all, they first flew June 1937 and ceased production in 1945.

They are an aircraft for the very wealthy enthusiast. I doubt there is anything financially rational or sane about their operating costs.

HarleyD
20th Nov 2012, 03:44
They are an aircraft for the very wealthy enthusiast.The last one i saw was at Wipaire in St Paul a couple of months ago, it belongs to Jimmy Buffet, at least I think that's what Wippy said.

He dropped it in for a quick once over and it is subsequently in a million pieces, although it is going back together now, but with many many, many new panels and some significant corrosion repair to some of the Very Important Pieces, like spars. HUGE job, but it will be brand new when finished. Jimmy may have to sell a few hundred thousand more records to pay for it. difficult thing to do these days.

HD

- or maybe it was Warren Buffet, he could afford it, no it was definitely Jimmy Buffet....I think.

weloveseaplanes
7th Mar 2013, 07:17
So anyone know if the Goose has shown any signs of life recently?

Fliegenmong
7th Mar 2013, 07:48
Thought Jimmy retired his Albatross to one of his restaurants....too exy for even him to keep going though??