PDA

View Full Version : The end off the "snag sheet".

Frank Arouet
2nd Nov 2012, 04:32
http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/airworth/51_1.pdf

I personally find it interesting that an aircraft owned by me some time ago had elevator trim cables cut more than half way through when the previous owner "disconnected the rudder/ aleiron system, yet when submitted to CASA for inspection and corrective action, they "LOST" those cables.

I won't go into details, except to say the Director of Aviation Safety had a known association with the engineer who signed the aircraft out as airworthy, cut cables and all. It's also well documentated in various papers that CASA staff were taking bets as to how far I could fly before I killed myself.

I'm also unsure as to why it has taken since 1996, a Commonwealth Ombudsmans investigation and Parliamentary intervention to get someone to acknowledge there are problems with the system, or whether this is a "brainfart" by a Bureaucrat and a means to get rid of snag sheets. (which used sensibly are better than a MR annotation which could ground an aircraft for a suspect CHT gauge in the GAFA by a junior pilot).

If a maintenance schedule allows for identified issues to be addressed, repaired and rectified by a LAME, why the hell does he have to notify CASA if it's signed off on the MR or a real problem has been identified in a snag sheet and rectified?

Someone, (in their opinion), is guilty of an offence, so it saves CASA going on a "fishing trip" I guess.

Abbott's speech today identified bureaucratic red tape and over regulation as an impediment to productivity. This highlights his frustration.

This possibly also impedes free trade between The States as provided for in The Constitution if a QLD aircraft is stuck in WA because of a faulty cigarette lighter.

aroa
2nd Nov 2012, 05:15
I'll betcha Abbott can't change the mind-set of pollies to change the mind set of bureaucrazies to reduce red tape& regulations that..,.. a) control other people and b) keeps them in a job producing this sh*te.
Triply/ 3 ways !.. Local, State and Federal. What an obscene burden.
Oz/Regulatastan is "a free country"... but severely bound by bureaucaratic chains. Its Bigtime BS tru. To the detriment of the whole nation.

About free trade....
Case in point... years ago, when in AWK AOC ,we were told by an FOI that we must not fly to jobs INTERSTATE ! :sad: Que ???... because we would require a licences (plural) to operate in other states. On contacting a Dept of Transport, they just laughed and said..IF you are a passenger carrying RPT op, then you needed an INTRASTATE licence to transport pax from QLD to say, NT. I was unaware that VH was just a Qld rego !
A FOI/"expert" who didnt know his onions.!

CASA are also into prevention of free trade, with regs (illegal?) that inhibit "commerce"...and that commerce having SFA to do with aviation "safety".

When will politicians get to legislate to remove all the surplus "red tape"?
NEVER.!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Sunfish
2nd Nov 2012, 05:31
Federal law trumps the states. Check to see if your state ceded powers over aviation to Canberra at the time of the signing of the Warsaw convention in 1921.

Frank Arouet
2nd Nov 2012, 05:58
That doesn't stop Albanese blaming the incumbant Liberal party for the second airport debacle in Sydney.

Woodwork
2nd Nov 2012, 08:46
Federal law trumps the states. Check to see if your state ceded powers over aviation to Canberra at the time of the signing of the Warsaw convention in 1921.

That's true(ish), but unfortunately there is both Federal and High Court precedent that the constitutional powers granted to the Commonwealth in regulating trade and commerce, includes the regulation of aviation.

(Engage cynical comment mode)Otherwise you can be sure SQ would have parked Tiger squarely in a non-ceded state and told CASA where it could stick its grounding.(End cynicism)

yowieII
2nd Nov 2012, 11:38
So NZ is a state then, cheap labour and all...