View Full Version : What women do BA want?

Eve Dalmory
5th Jun 2001, 13:35
Hiya.
I'm applying to BA and I'm female. I've heard BA are actively recruiting women but what I wondered is what TYPE of woman do they want?

I have final board in a 6 weeks and don't know how to portray myself. Do you dress up with lots of makeup to show you're a social, outgoing lass or portray yourself as being more intellectual. I don't want to come across as a hard-faced Cromwellian Sourpuss but neither a slapper in interview (especially as I normally wear lots of makeup). Do the pilots interviewing you disapprove of girls showing sexuality or is it seriously frowned upon?

Any tips on how to dress/look? Thanks!

Token Bird
5th Jun 2001, 14:12
You need to try and get the professional look without looking dowdy. Smart suit in a darkish colour, can be a trouser or skirt suit. Nice blouse, not too bright but can be coloured. Sensible shoes - you can wear heels but not too high or too strappy. If you have long hair it's probably best to tie it up. If you're going to wear makeup, make it light, daytime makeup, not as if you were going clubbing.

TB

gijoe
5th Jun 2001, 16:29
Nice one - hook,line and sinker swallowed by TB in one swoop !!!!

NewBloke
5th Jun 2001, 16:34
Hello,

I've been trying to write for ages, but nothing has got through (busy line or something), so in ten minutes you will probably find 10 replies from me all saying the same thing ! Anyway.... I hope they will look for the same personal qualities whether male or female, no matter how much you express your sexuality. One quick flash of my man-boobs once didn't go down to well. Stick to TB's advice in my mind, think smart, sensible and conservative. There are a few airline interview specific books from Transair pilot shop actually. These detail recommendations on attire, body language, posture, questions and all other manner of stuff to make you feel more confident during interview. If you do wear hot-pants and a plunging top, try not to shake any hands afterwards... all the best

------------------
"Everything in moderation, including moderation..."

Portcullis
5th Jun 2001, 16:37
Perhaps TB should obtain a copy of Fly Fishing by JR Hartley.

On the odd chance that Eve does need genuine advice - make the best of what you've got without getting into your clubbing gear.

If this proves to be impossible hosties are generally encouraged to use the whole of the cosmetic counter - maybe a career change?

Token Bird
5th Jun 2001, 18:32
Have I missed something? Just 'cos the post by Eve came across as a tad naive doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't genuine. Methinks Ronchonner and other such types have made PPRuNers overly paranoid!

TB

Anyway, when I first read the post I skimmed over it and basically picked up the gist of 'Hi, I'm a woman going to final board - what should I wear'-type thing.

spikyt
6th Jun 2001, 00:52
I think token bird has it spot on!
definetly needs more women in the profession!
when is yur final board? email me when u have had it please and let me know how it was and the sort of questions they asked! I have my aptitude tests on august 30th! good luck hun!

------------------
BA wannabe!

Suggs
6th Jun 2001, 17:12
I can only speak for myself but the FO's want blonde big breasted six foot tall girls who don't want commitment, what we get is normally something quite different.

There is no typical lass, they come in all shapes and forms, and from all sorts of different backgrounds.

------------------
Graham McPherson

Buffy Summers
6th Jun 2001, 17:17
Think "conservative" for the interview, and no, I am not talking about William Hague (bleurgh).
As suggested, a smart suit, not too much make up or jewellery. Its best to look like a line pilot when you are up in front of the interview board, that way they can picture you as an actual FO.
However, don't be afraid to come across as feminine but know where to draw the line - I am sure there have been previous occurrences of female interviewees trying a little too hard to play on their male interviewer's weaknesses. Be professional.

Eve Dalmory
7th Jun 2001, 16:32
Thanks TB for advice.
For your information, by the way, I'm not winding anybody up. I appreciate all the comments made. I'll wear light, summer makeup, a sharp suit (costly!) and tie my hair back.

Good luck to all of you!
love,
Eve.

FLARE DAMIT
7th Jun 2001, 22:20
What MORE women up at the sharp end. Oh well there's another empty kitchen. Damn

sam_flying
8th Jun 2001, 12:50
I am not going to bite on that one!!! Resist I must resist!! :)

Eve - good luck with BA....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sam

StephenM
11th Jun 2001, 22:55
Eve, perhaps you should come for a night out with me?

You're not a northern lass by any chance r u?