PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Security Cameras, One Router

finfly1
31st Oct 2012, 16:22
Please be patient with a somewhat cumbersome question. A good friend is working to activate two security cameras which will be viewable online when done. However, the recent visit of Sandy has made it necessary for us to be in different locations for the time being.

The cameras in question are: Wireless IP Camera WiFi Security Surveillance System Nightvision Dual-Way Audio. It looks like the brand is "Wanscan".

I do not currently have the pedigree of the wireless router.

The problem is this: both cameras work well online individually, but he has been unable to get them BOTH working online at the same time.

Any suggestions which I can relay to him are appreciated. Thanks.

finfly1
31st Oct 2012, 22:17
Thanks Milo. And yer only HOW old??

[Been awhile since I read one of my favorite books ever]

ExGrunt
1st Nov 2012, 12:38
The problem is this: both cameras work well online individually, but he has been unable to get them BOTH working online at the same time.

Any suggestions which I can relay to him are appreciated. Thanks.

If each one works while the other is not connected then it sounds like an IP address clash. Are IP addresses programmeable?

HTH

EG

Bushfiva
1st Nov 2012, 13:03
It's a Wanscam. As ExGrunt says, make sure each camera is set to DHCP rather than fixed IP.

finfly1
1st Nov 2012, 14:14
Thank you both. Info relayed and being digested. Appreciate all the help.

mixture
1st Nov 2012, 23:16
I don't know these specific cameras, but are you sure the need for DHCP is correct? That time I was messing with something like this, we had to fix the cameras IP addresses to enable port forwarding to the two cameras work properly

Dynamic pool based forwarding can be done, but you need a decent bit of router with the right featureset to do it (read Cisco or Juniper).

To be honest, even if your infrastructure allows it, if you're dealing with servers or server-like devices, they should have static IPs set anyway !

Airborne Aircrew
2nd Nov 2012, 14:27
Using DHCP is not enough. I use 8 cameras that are Wanscam equivalents to secure my house. You need to connect to them individually and alter the port they use to display their video, (make sure they are different). Then you port forward the different ports to the appropriate IP Address.

You will find a nice system to monitor/control them as single web page remotely at Blue Iris. (http://blueirissoftware.com/) You'll also find a handy dandy little iPhone app called LiveCams Pro.