PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State/Exec Jet OR ComAir/Jacksonville U.?

spudskier
11th Apr 2002, 18:02
I'm an aviation student, working on my Private.

Right now I'm at Ohio State University. They have a decent program knowledgable staff, etc... they also have a great partnership with ExecutiveJet. HOWEVER their instructors are way overworked, their fleet is very aged. They only have 9 cessna 152s yes, 152s, two 172s, one 172RG, and one dutchess. On any given day between 2 and 5 of the C-152s are down for maintenance which is all you're allowed to fly if you're working on your private. Obviously besides the crappy weather Ohio has there are more than just 9 students wanting a plane at any given time. While scheduling is fair, it doesn't work.

I am thinking about transferring to ComAir Flight Academy in Florida. I've heard good and bad things about them. They have a partnership with Jacksonville University so I can still get the Bachelor degree I want as well as the license and ratings. Obviously they have a partnership with ComAir/Delta. and they guarentee and interview with ComAir whatever that's worth.

Just need some advice. What have people heard about both schools, how good is ComAir Academy? Good reputation? Should I just stay where I am and be patient and maybe get my private sometime this decade assuming there's a plane available and theres a decent day?

regional guy
11th Apr 2002, 21:53
spudskier,

Well, I went to Comair Aviation Academy back in -99. At the time it was a pretty good school. As you probably know it is very large and fairly expensive. The training is very good, it is pretty much streamlined towards the airline, and most of the instructors are great. Management could be better, and do not believe everything they tell you!!!!!!! At times they do get very 'creative'. Weather in Florida is great, so you can finish your training very fast and start instructing. If you are american, or have a green-card, you get an interview with the airline after you have instructed for a while. The minimums for instructors from the Academy used to be lower than people applying to Comair Airlines from the 'outside'. The fleet used to be pretty old, but well maintained, I did hear something about them getting new airplanes last year though.... But things might have changed since I was there, try the North-American forum and the Instructor forum, there is probably someone with more recent info than me....

spudskier
12th Apr 2002, 15:39
what kind of things do they tell you? (not to believe)

regional guy
12th Apr 2002, 22:11
Spudskier,

Generally, if they tell you anything, ask to get it in writing! :)
But things might have changes since I was there. Overall, I liked the outfit a lot though.