PDA

View Full Version : Extent of meteorology knowledge required for Pilots?

WhySoTough
28th Oct 2012, 18:22
Just trying to get an idea.
I've gone through the ATPL met as a refresher once again, but for me personally, met is just the hardest subject to fully understand.
Also, apart from that, I can't read one of the Live weather maps. Is this a must?
I can ofcourse read synoptic charts, upper wind charts, etc.
I have a good basic knowledge on weather, what's associated with what kind of front, clouds, how things work and develop, pressure systems, etc.

Going deep into it just gets very difficult for me sometimes, and I'm worried this will be an issue while actually flying?
Looking for feedback from the more experienced :)

Thanks guys

RTN11
28th Oct 2012, 20:52
A good idea of the wind and how it's likely to change with altitude is good. If you're in a hold and have access to a surface wind, it's good to be able to estimate the wind at your level. Having said that you have an FMS to do that for you :}

A good understanding of icing conditions, when icing is likely to occur and how severe it might be will be good, but nothing like seeing it for real for the first time however many books you've read.

Icelanta
28th Oct 2012, 21:42
Meteorology and Principles of Flight ( aerodynamics) are two of the most important courses. They can kill you if not properly understood.