PDA

View Full Version : training/flying in south africa

benjaavpilot
28th Oct 2012, 14:09
Hello people! i am having a very difficult choice now, plz help me out :bored:

well i am willing to start my pilot training in South Africa but im a bit confused between choosing flight schools..i have a choice now which is between AUAA, FTS, and 43 air school...i am willing to do the PPL to CPL! (dreaming to fly in an airline) :ok:
but my the problem is that i will have to take huge loans to fund the training and i dont know if i will get a job, so my question is :
1. is there lots of flying jobs for low hour pilots (fresh CPLs) ?
2. am i guaranteed job in africa?
3. about the flight school, if anyone has been at FTS plz tell me a bit..
4. how long does it take 4 me to have 1500hours?

to the friends here who is helping me with this post i thank you as this is my 1st post (im new)

pilotchute
28th Oct 2012, 23:22
Benja,

If you have to take out "huge loans" don't do it. Save your money for something else. The only option you have in your own country is Air Mauritius which I am told is difficult to get into if you don't have connections.

As for Africa there is no guarantee. You will have to compete for a job like everyone else. Many people will have many more hours than you with more experience so it would be very tough. Your advantage will be that you have trained in Africa and know the country alot better than the bus loads of Euro's that go there looking for a first job. I assume you speak french so some African countries that are french speaking may bear more fruit for you.

Good luck

benjaavpilot
29th Oct 2012, 07:12
well pilotchute, firstly i thank you 4 replying 2 this post :ok:

it seems that you know very well the situation of AIR MAURITIUS especially with the connections etc..well yes i speak (to be honest) good french and German, so language and adapting to the country will not be so hard for me :cool:

but do you know some places in africa where newbies start, what about those fresh CPLs? do they enter an airline directly? and you mentionned EURO's which mean they have only 250hrs right to look 4 a 1st job?
thanks buddy cheers :D

tarmac12
29th Oct 2012, 21:20
Yes a lot of Europeans with a fresh CPL and 200-250 head to Africa looking for that first job.

They mainly end up in Botswana or Namibia. As these countries are English speaking and have a large amount of tourists coming through the need for small single engine piston powered aircraft is high. They are used mainly for transporting tourists from one safari park to another. After a year or so you may be able to upgrade to larger aircraft. The pay is poor but people aren't there for a career. It's just a stepping stone to better things.

Your advantage is that you speak French. Over half of Africa speaks it so finding a job for you should be easier. You simply have to get out there. Companies don't usually hire people from a CV sent over the internet. They will speak to you on the phone so call them and ask if they would hire someone with whatever hours you have and see what they say. There are literally dozens of operators in Central and West Africa for you to try.

I think the Air Mauritius cadets go to 43 flying school. Why don't you track down one of them and ask. Usually schools that have airline cadets are much more expensive than schools that don't. Do your research. None of the companies I have worked for cared a bit about where I did my training. They just wanted to see me operated the plane safely.

Good luck

benjaavpilot
30th Oct 2012, 07:53
well thanks for replying to the post ,
no air mauritius cadets, i know nobody !!:p

i will agree with you to the fact that 43 is going to be more expensive thats why i am willing to know more about FTS about its service and aircraft avaibility and i know that for a start i will have to fight to get a job but my dream is to fly for an airline
thanks friend :cool:

B2N2
31st Oct 2012, 13:12
Instead of South Africa have you considered training in the USA?

RJay
1st Nov 2012, 05:20
43 would probably be your best bet - their fees include other costs such as accomodation, meals, etc. As far as I am aware, this is the only school to offer an "on-site" campus. I have visited there and all seems ideal for someone who is prepared to commit to the costs of the course.
With regard to getting a job - well, this depends on the individual. I am an old-timer, and I see so many of the new guys who take a primma donna attitude. If you are prepared to go and look for it, there will always be a job for you - in Africa or elsewhere. Its entirely up to you, and will depend on your determination. But a guaranteed job immediately after qualifying? There are no guarantees in ANY career.......
If you would like to discuss this further (on Skype or phone) you are welcome to leave a message here for me.

benjaavpilot
1st Nov 2012, 11:32
hey buddy thanks for the suggestion but south africa is nearer and easier for me to go :ok:

benjaavpilot
3rd Nov 2012, 11:05
Rjay i agree with you about 43 but i have heard that they are MONEY MINDED :=,i dont wanna spend my money in a place where only my cash is all that they want, yea the have their own campus and meal ..etc but i have to look at my advantage ( well im going to decide a bit ) :ok:
i agree with you that there are jobs if am willing to do some research but dont you think that these jobs employers recruit only people from AFRICA and not internationals (EXPATS) ???? :bored:

jetbusdriver
15th Nov 2012, 11:11
Hi Guys...
Anyone has any idea about air Mauritius assessment and interview for F/O 320 position. I got a call for Nov 2012 but I m not sure what to expect. Also any idea about salary and other benifits....Thanks

benjaavpilot
16th Nov 2012, 06:17
if you have the valid licences,and required hours ON TYPE then i assure you to be selected else its hard especially if you are a low time pilot( fresh cpl)