PDA

View Full Version : ME to XP upgrade.

Mango3
11th Apr 2002, 18:01
Friend of mine is having all sorts of problems with ME. He was initially running 98SE. Is it worth upgrading to XP? The reason I ask is that I went from 98 to ME 18 months ago, and this literally trashed my system so I went back to 98. Now running XP from an upgrade and have no problems.
Question: ME to XP via an upgrade. Anyone done this, and were there any hassels?

TR4A
11th Apr 2002, 18:23
ME to XP via an upgrade. Anyone done this, and were there any hassels?

I upgraded from ME to XP on a PIII 800. My modem would not work so I replaced it with a new USR modem. The only hassle I had was getting the new drivers from the different company web sites. That takes much longer than installing the XP upgrade. I am still waiting for HP to come out with the full XP software for the OfficeJet G85.

XP is much more stable than 98 and ME and it shuts down unlike ME.

SLB
14th Apr 2002, 12:16
ME to XP via an upgrade. Anyone done this, and were there any hassels? My ME to XP upgrade went quite smooth. Was urprised how my old ME drivers worked fine in XP (although XP warned me they were not current, it allowed them).

On the other hand, my computers worked without problems under ME. Attempting an upgrade to fix a prolbem is more likely to make it worse, not better.
Fix the real problem first.

Jet II
15th Apr 2002, 05:27
I upgraded from ME to XP Pro with no problems at all, just had to get new drivers for Motherboard, Scanner and Modem.

Agree with SLB - if you have some sort of hardware problem fix that first before attempting any upgrades.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS back-up everything first .

:p

Chooch
15th Apr 2002, 14:49
I would just stay well clear of ME :eek: !!

XP Upgrade will run smooth as it does over 98SE and will be a
darn site more stable........