PDA

View Full Version : Mech. Eng. + ATPL --> FTE ?

PitotFreeze
27th Oct 2012, 20:38
Hi guys!

I've been struggling to find good information on this, so this is why I turn to this forum in the hope that some experienced people involved in flight testing might give me some advice ...

I'm a mechanical engineer (31 yo) and I've been working for a few years as an automotive engineer. I did my PPL at the age of 17 and have always been fascinated by (commercial) aviation, both the technical as well as the flying side of it.

I recently started flight training towards an ATPL (sponsored by an airline). My career goal is to combine my Mech. Eng. background with my ATPL/line flying experience at a later stage to work in flight testing (support engineer/FTE). I realize that this is a difficult endeavour, so I would like to know if this is a realistic goal, considering my age. Are there maybe other jobs at aircraft manufacturers where this type of profile is sought after?

Or do you think I should leave this MEng+ATPL idea altogether and go back to my old engineering type job? How valuable is the experience of ATPL/commercial flying when applying for FTE positions compared to PPL-type flying?

I would really appreciate your input since I have to make a decision soon. Tell me what you think ... :confused:

Greetings from Switzerland,

Alex

Flutter speed
1st Nov 2012, 15:13
Hi Pitot Freeze,

Not long ago I asked (http://www.pprune.org/flight-testing/496367-increase-odds-become-involved-flight-testing-career-advice.html) a similar question, so you might want to look at it.

I am not really in a position to give you advice, I am rather on the side of needing advice ;-) But compared to me, you at least have an outlook to a paid job while make flight time. On the other hand, as you can read in the replies to my post. Pursuing a PPL might be sufficient in the "flight experience" department side of the FTE job requirements. I decided to stay in simulation, pursue my PPL and keep an eye on the market.

Good luck with deciding, I know that it isnt easy, especially at your age ( I am abut the same). Not saying 30 is old (of course not :p ), but it requires some good thinking, as career changes become less easy. You can PM me if you want to know some more details on my decision making.

-Flutter Speed

ICT_SLB
2nd Nov 2012, 04:21
IGh,
Not sure where you have been working but the majority of FT folks I've worked with have had fairly continuous careers - both inside & outside of the Lazy B, in industry & agencies. Most FT departments may have peaks with the new project du jour but they also have a pretty heavy sustaining testing load such is the longevity of programs & the ever-changing requirements (NextGen, fuel costs etc).

PF,
As you will see on previous posts, there are probably 20 engineers of all types working in Flight Test for every FTE who goes flying - and quite a few of those have at least a PPL or higher. Equally I know FTEs who have no license whatsoever. My advice is to try to join a Flight Test department in whatever capacity you can (which may be more dependent on the type of Mech Eng you are & your experience), learn the processes and eventually you may become an FTE.