PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft iPad Holder

liam4393
27th Oct 2012, 16:03
Hi All,

I am a second year University student currently studying towards a Management degree, and one of our modules is to create a business idea and “pitch” it to a panel, although this is as far as the idea will go. Having recently been on a long haul flight, I found it rather awkward and annoying that when the meals/drinks come around and the tray table then has to be used to place the food tray/drinks on, it can be difficult to find somewhere to place an iPad whilst still being able to watch movies/videos on it. Furthermore, having to constantly look down at the screen during the flight caused my neck to get somewhat stiff. Therefore, my group idea was to create an iPad holder which would attach to the back of the seat in front (so the iPad is in normal position of a typical aircraft PTV screen) whilst causing no damage/marks to the aircraft seat or the iPad, and not affecting the passenger sitting in front of you. In line with the use of electronic items onboard, the holder would not be able to be attached to the seat in front until the seatbelt signs are off. It would also be designed to pass existing security regulations. We will of course say in our “pitch” that the product could be adapted to hold similar tablet devices, however for the sake of having to build a prototype, we have decided just to base it on the iPad device.

Therefore the general purpose of this post is to obtain your opinions to this idea and to ask if we made the product available, would you ever consider buying one? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. With regards to safety, any other potential issues you could see arising would also be appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to give any feedback, and of course, none of your personal details will be used. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Rob from PPRuNe Admin for allowing this thread to be posted.

Liam

500N
28th Oct 2012, 05:46
Good luck and good to see some innovative people still out there.

Worth checking out RAM MOUNT in the US.
rammount.com

racedo
28th Oct 2012, 13:03
Good idea BUT problem would be that to be useful it would need to be adaptable for other uses easily.

Nobody wishes to carry around an IPAD device along with everything else just for a plane therefore your target market may not be users but airlines.

Problem then with airlines is that they would need to charge for it and ensure if plane sets off with 25 from LHR they will get 25 returned and reusable in LAX.

Its a nice accessory BUT question is how much would people pay for it and could you sell enough volume to justify its development.

ExXB
31st Oct 2012, 12:49
A näive question, but this is a pilots forum.

What do airlines that use iPods and other tablets in the cockpits use? How about those that have them used by CC?

nimsu1987
3rd Nov 2012, 08:50
There is at least one airline that I know of (Emirates) that have iPod connectivity where music and video can be connected to the in flight entertainment screen. I guess as these systems become more commonplace and less exclusive (only saw it in 1st) the need for such a contraption might diminish. However, I hope it does become successful :-)

Busted Sump
6th Nov 2012, 10:40
The carrier I work for is is the process of installing WiFi IFE systems in their domestic aircraft. All passengers will be given an IPad after takeoff. A simple fabric strap built into the headrest cover on the seat in front allows the device to hang at eye level. Cheap but it works quite well