PDA

View Full Version : keyboard Key assignments

driftdown
27th Oct 2012, 13:21
For some reason my HP Probook 6460B running on XP has decided to reassign the 2/@ key into 2/". Conversely when pressing the Shift key the " key now gives me a @.

I was advised that Alt + Shift would restore the keyboard indicated assignments and it does. Weirdly enough, it occasionally it reverts to the incorrect assignment at some random point in the day and always on start up is incorrect.

It is irritating but I can tolerate it although if somebody has a fix to permanently restore the keyboard assignment then that would be appreciated.

green granite
27th Oct 2012, 14:21
Change it back to the English UK keyboard, for some reason it's flipped to English US.

driftdown
27th Oct 2012, 15:00
Thanks for the suggestion GG.

I checked in control panel - Regional settings and English UK is set as the keyboard language.

Puzzling :*

ExSp33db1rd
27th Oct 2012, 20:50
I had the same and followed the above suggestions ( thanks ) to change the 'keyboard'.

Just changing the 'language' didn't do it, but regret that I can't recall where I found the option now - but it was in there somewhere.

localflighteast
27th Oct 2012, 22:26
On the right hand side of the taskbar (next to the clock and stuff) there is a little icon of a keyboard. Click on it to select the correct keyboard layout (UK , US , whatever)

there must be a key combo that also changes it because I am forever switching mine to French by accident

driftdown
28th Oct 2012, 12:58
Thank you all for your suggestions, MM got me heading the right way :D

I looked in Control Panel -> regional settings / language etc selected -> Languages -> text services and input languages-> details and there under installed services was the option to change the keyboard language. I added English US and removed English UK and bingo all is well.

What is weird is when it was supplied by my employer it was set to US. By some weird combination of key presses probably as a result of trying to do something too quickly I managed to find the exact combination that changed it to a UK setting Doh!!! :hmm:

Loose rivets
28th Oct 2012, 16:44
The default is Alt Shift (on the left side only I think). You can choose other combinations.

Rolling these will toggle the KEYBs. BUT, I gather you've now removed one, so this will not work.

I much prefer the American layout, but load the UK version to be ready for when I need £s etc. (# normally)

#£#£# This can be changed by a menu that pops up from the EN on the task bar, but unfortunately, EN is used for both KEYBs so it doesn't work as an indicator for the key toggle method.

This keyboard issue. I carry one of a box of Logitech OEM keyboards I acquired to anywhere I'll be doing a lot of typing. Changing from one to another is a chore - especially on laptops where the changes can be bizarrely different. I use flat boards - how anyone can type on rows of boulders beats me. I can't imagine being able to go back to a typewriter.

We will now announce to the world I've added to the above with an edit. Pah!:suspect:

ExSp33db1rd
28th Oct 2012, 21:33
........By some weird combination of key presses.....

Do that a lot, then can't restore to the original without a lot of aggro and swearing. Shouting louder usually works. ( like talking to The Natives a couple of centuries ago.)

I blame Bill Gates.

parabellum
28th Oct 2012, 21:51
I just discovered, (here I think!) that holding the ALT key down and selecting 156 on the numeric keypad gives me a £ sign!!!

Loose rivets
28th Oct 2012, 23:47
Yes, using that method, you can obtain all sorts of wondrous signs and symbols.

Just look'e here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ascii+symbols&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zsONUIKVMOqU2QWt_IGQBw&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=746

ExSp33db1rd
29th Oct 2012, 04:51
I just discovered, (here I think!) that holding the ALT key down and selecting 156 on the numeric keypad gives me a £ sign!!!

I used to do that until I went to VISTA, now I have to go to Start/All Programmes/Accesories/SystemTools/CharacterMap then I can select the £ sign by copying it. It says I can use Keystroke Alt+0163 ( like your 156 ) but it doesn't work.

I blame Bill Gates.

Loose rivets
29th Oct 2012, 05:06
£

That's Alt 156 on W7. You did try that, didn't you?

ExSp33db1rd
29th Oct 2012, 08:31
You did try that, didn't you?

Yes, it works on our W.7 desktop and used to work on the old XP one, but it doesn't work on this VISTA laptop.

I still blame Bill Gates.

Loose rivets
29th Oct 2012, 15:40
One is orf to the laptop to try Vista.

Well, that's a surprise. Vista indeed seems to have a unique set of rules. I was so surprised I robbed a KEYB from a PC and put that in. Just the same.

With the numeric keys on the laptop, it causes various 'blocking' procedures. It seems to block only those words or lines above the active line. Odd, but no doubt has some use. I suppose it never caught on.

ExSp33db1rd
29th Oct 2012, 21:43
I suppose it never caught on.

Like Vista.

I don't think I'll put my toes in the Win.8 waters, either - until I'm forced to.

I blame Bill Gates.