PDA

View Full Version : FAA to CASA(Australia)...Anyone Done it before?

TheNakedTrader
27th Oct 2012, 08:46
Hey pilots out there,

Anyone has ever done an FAA to CASA (Australia) conversion? I understand that one needs to apply for a ASIC/AVID security card before the conversion can proceed. Do I absolutely need to be enrolled in a flight school before applying for it? I would like to apply for it while shopping for a flight school.

Also, roughly how much more flying hours needs to be done while physically in Australia?

All help welcome!

Regards
Bryan

172driver
27th Oct 2012, 17:04
I have done exactly that a few years ago (2009).

In a nutshell:
License conversion / validation and ASIC are two separate processes.

The license part is pretty straightforward, you'll find all the info on the CASA website. Note, that the application is only valid for a certain period of time (IIRC 60 days), so you cannot apply say now for a trip in mid-2013.

The ASIC is the more complicated beast. Basically you can apply for it while abroad but it can only be issued once you have legally cleared Australian immigration. Which means it has to be mailed to an Australian address.
AFAIK there have been some changes to the process since I did it, but if you post in the Oz forum here, there are a couple of very knowledgable people who will be able to give you the latest info..

As for the actual flying, the main difference is the way information in presented in Oz. Basically, the info you find in one place in the US (on a sectional) is referenced in two or three different places in Oz. No big deal, but needs a bit getting used to. A few hours with an instructor will sort you out.

Feel free to pm me if you need more info.

PS: one word of warning - flying in Oz is hideously expensive, at least at current forex rates :{