PDA

View Full Version : Changing airlines?

saphiry
27th Oct 2012, 03:36
Hello,

I'm new here and I'm posting because I have a question regarding the change of employment to another company.

My fiancée is native Colombian and has been working as a pilot in Colombia for a couple of years. We're still living in Colombia, but we've been thinking about the possibilities to move somewhere else. I'm selfemployed, so I could live anywhere. Since I'm European I would prefer Europe though.

1) As soon as we're married he should have the right to work in Europe too, right?

2) What airlines could be possible? Does Iberia for example employ Colombian pilots (with the right to work in Europe)?

3) What airlines outside of Europe could be possible?

Thanks a lot!!

zondaracer
27th Oct 2012, 14:21
Congrats on getting engaged. To answer your questions...

1. Generally speaking, yes, once married your husband will get right to work in the European country where you reside.

2. Iberia hasn't hired any pilots in the past 12 years. Most airlines in Europe do not hire foreigners with "right to work". Most airlines are asking for unrestricted European passport. There are some airlines hiring those with right to work but there aren't many. There would still be the opportunity to gain employment with a corporate operator or other type of company that employs those with right to work. Before your husband becomes eligible, he would first have to convert his license to a JAA/EASA license which is quite time consuming and costly but very possible, as many people have done a conversion. Many companies have language requirements, usually English and the principal language of that country, so this limits many opportunities as well.

3. Depending on aircraft type and experience, he may or may not have opportunities in Chile, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, China, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Phillipines, and a few other places in the middle and far east.

mutt
27th Oct 2012, 19:14
he would first have to convert his license to a JAA/EASA license which is quite time consuming and costly but very possible, as many people have done a conversion.

This is very important, he should contact an European flight school to see what exams and costs are involved.