View Full Version : need some advice-A levels!do i really need them?

Foxtrot Bravo
5th Jun 2001, 00:37
hi,

my problem is that i'm sitting my a levels at the moment and get my results in augusy.I'm doing physics french and spanish,but do i really need them??i'm ****tin myself incase i fail, i know i need them for sponsorship.My instructor tells me i dont,i'm doing my ppl right now, hope to have it at end of summer.Thanx and HELP!!!!!!

OLD_EGG_BOUND
5th Jun 2001, 02:20
Just do your best, it seems that you are already trying to find reasons to fail. You will be surprised how often in later life just how usefull they can be especially if things take a turn for the worse. Put flying on hold for now it`s not going to go away just because you are swatting.

Sagey
5th Jun 2001, 02:42
In all honesty A levels are more important than a degree.

The trouble with a degree is it is inhouse and different Universities have different rules etc. A levels are National exams and employers normally look at A levels prior to a degree etc

Stay calm, don't panic and wait and see

Best of luck

Sagey

tailscrape
5th Jun 2001, 02:46
NO, you don't need A levels.

I have a handful of GCSE's and a load of experience in a totally different field. I went on a CAP509 and got dead lucky.

I guess that luck and flying school results, combined with a bit of BS will help.

But, try your best and if you make a bollox of the A levels then don't highlight the fact to future employers. Play on your positives.ot your negatives.
Good luck.

little red train
5th Jun 2001, 02:47
face it your stuck in school, you might as well do something (if only i knew this earlyer ;)), and if you fail, to hell with it, you'll still come away with more than if you did nothing.

A-levels and all are not offically required for Commercial pilots, but they offer a good grounding to start from. the most important thing that can be had is developing study skills, I again flagged at this at school and had a hard time making it up in groundschool. 'learning to learn' is about the most usefull thing you can do, it will be usefull for the rest of your life, and will help no end with your exams.

I'd go with what OEB said, focusing on something that can waits only going to close doors, get your head down for the exams and enjoy a full summer of flying (carrot and stick and all that). good luck

[This message has been edited by little red train (edited 04 June 2001).]

SpeedBird22
5th Jun 2001, 18:44
Frankly, you'll have a tough time without 'em. Especially in 10 to fifteen years when even a degree will be the standard.

RVR800
5th Jun 2001, 19:54
Forget the flying for the moment and
concentrate on these exams which are
often used by employers as a differentiator

Capt Wannabee
5th Jun 2001, 20:04
Everybody is right. Concentrate on the exams. Make the flying a reward for passing all your exams!

If you can't get a sponsorship the A levels will help you towards a better-paid job so you can do your CPL.

Good luck!

skysoarer
5th Jun 2001, 20:05
"Work hard now and you can play hard later", thats what my brother told me a few weeks back since I've got my uni finals in a couple of days...

A-Levels are a very good basis and employers do leave space for them on all application forms I have seen. Something more, such as a degree or equivalent is also very useful to have ... maybe not now but if you find yourself failing a medical later on it will pay off to have it. Airlines will smile more also ... take a look at the "After A Levels" thread on this forum for more advice.

Just remember not to panic, that stops you learning anything and will make you look for excuses to get out. As long as you have put the work in, you'll get something valuable out of them.

BTW: I was panicking about the exams I have during the next week, now I just seem to be in some sort of chilled mode - thats probably a bad thing ...

SS

lone eagle
5th Jun 2001, 22:50
HI FB, I'm in exactly the same position as you right now. Just sat Human Biology today and have History and more BIO over the next ten days. I would have done more but both mine are nine month A levels which is the same as doing 4/5 A levels over the two year period. In my opinion you can't put pressure on yourself. I know that sponsorship is shut to me if I fail so I don't even think about BA etc. During my study I've been using a shiny BA application form of my sisters as a form of motivation but in the last few weeks I've put it away because it hurt to much when I thought of failing......and then the other 30,000 people I will be up against if I do pass, so I think the answer is to take things one step at a time.

Best of luck and hope to see you in the compass centre in the next couple of years,

LE.