PDA

View Full Version : Gliding and Relocating Often

Chris the Robot
25th Oct 2012, 14:18
Having explored the possibility of enjoying various types of flying, I have recently decided that I would like to learn how to glide in the not too distant future.

However, I am about to start a new job during which I am expected to complete four placements within the next two years before taking a permanent long-term role within the company. These placements may be located anywhere in Britain (although three are likely to be within around a 75 mile radius).

This means that I would likely have to change clubs every six months or so, whilst I would be prepared to do this, I don't really know how gliding clubs would feel about it. I do however, understand that different gliding clubs may take a different view and whilst I haven't spoke to any gliding clubs yet but when I do (maybe around January) I intend to inform them of my career situation before I were to start with them.

The main reason I haven't learned to glide up to now is that the nearest gliding club is about 85 miles from where I have lived for the past four years, before then a lot of my time was taken up by studying.

Thanks for any advice on this.

ChrisA87
25th Oct 2012, 14:30
Worst case scenario is you'll have to pay an annual membership at two different clubs each year. "Reciprocal memebership" does exist but it's really aimed at the occasional visitor from another club.

From my experience, most gliding clubs are very accomodating and you're better off talking to them individually. I'm sure you'll be able to work something out.

At the end of the day, the clubs will want your membership so it's in their interest to help you out.

Good luck with it!

Doodlebug
25th Oct 2012, 14:48
Hello Chris,

I faced the same dilemma. The solution for me was to get current on at least three latest-tech gliders and to reserve two batches of time a year for chartering same. So now I'll typically have an unbroken 10-day stretch of gliding in southern europe around july and another session around december in the southern hemisphere.

Getting your soaring-fix 'long-distance' in this manner obviously means that you miss out on the comraderie that exists at some sites, but the wonderful side of doing things this way is that you stay out of the poisonous club-politics. Also, you can charter good kit for reasonable money without having to wait around for your turn, and the chances of having a couple of days of good overland-weather within your 10 days are better than having to chance it on the weekends.

Obviously you'd have to commit to getting your licence sorted out first. Perhaps a solid full-time course at some school? Don't let anybody tell you that you can't charter with a fresh GPL, by the way. To start with, something like a Discus, for example, is up-to-date and yet very forgiving to fly.

Good luck, and please do try soaring, it is sublime :ok:

phiggsbroadband
25th Oct 2012, 14:55
Hi Chris, once you have joined your first gliding club, you will be a member of the BGA. Any further clubs may have a 'country membership' for members who are already in a BGA club.

Most clubs also do a day membership scheme to allow you a flight. (this facility may be limited to the number of times you can use it in a year.)

Each club has it's own charging scheme, for instance the Midland GC at the Long Myndd, charges a unique 'one off yearly fee' which covers the cost of all your hours. Others charge seperately £6-10. for a winch launch, and about £20 per hour.

Once you have soloed, each club would require you take one check flight with an instructor before you could use their gliders.
If you can travel to a Ridge-site club, your flights are less dependant upon having a 'thermally' day, and flying is possible over the winter months, with the right sort of wind (and clothing!)

Have a look at the BGA website for the location of clubs...

British Gliding Association >> Find a Club >> UK Map (http://www.gliding.co.uk/findaclub/ukmap.htm)

chrisN
25th Oct 2012, 21:23
As others have said, most gliding clubs will sympathise and find a solution which is not too expensive.

For the avoidance of doubt, any training and experience gained at one club will be recognised at another. All work to the same syllabus for proceeding to solo. (There is at present no UK CAA/EASA gliding “licence” though this will change soon under EASA.) It will probably take one or two assessment flights at each new club to confirm that your progress is up to what your logbook would say.

You could do an intensive course at some clubs – solo or close to it in 2 weeks, for example, if you wanted to accelerate the initial learning.

Feel free to Pm me, with mail and/or telephone contact details, if you want to discuss in person.

Chris N.

Chris the Robot
26th Oct 2012, 14:06
Thank you everyone for the advice on this, it has helped a lot. A full-time short course looks like the best option since I'll be able to learn quickly without having to re-cover parts of the syllabus that I may have forgotten over a long period of time. Also, it means that I would be less likely to change instructors over my training. The relatively low cost of gliding means that I should be able to complete the course using savings and then still have enough left to remain current.

Thankfully I should be within a reasonable distance of clubs which are close to sources of ridge lift hence I may be able to start training in late winter/early spring without suffering from delayed progress due to lack of thermals.

ChrisA87
26th Oct 2012, 14:31
Thermals aren't really necessary to progress your learning early on.

I started training in January, solo'd in March and started thermalling on my own when the season kicked into life. Several hours later I asked for some 2-seater coaching to fine-tune my technique. Some of the most valuable learning - for me anyway - has been post-solo.

You'll spend a lot of time in the circuit (I have a whole page of 2-5 minute flights) and practicing launch failures.

Also be prepared to get well involved with ground operations, driving tractors/pulling gliders around muddy fields/driving the winch etc... it takes one person to fly a glider, but a whole bunch of people to get in the air :)

Chris the Robot
28th Oct 2012, 17:03
I have read (from a powered aircraft point of view) that the circuit is a busy time for the pilot(s), I don't know if it is the same for gliding but I can certainly understand why it is a training priority.

I'd be very happy to get involved with ground operations, it sounds like a great opportunity to meet other like-minded people and learn from the experiences of others. Also, as Chris Adam has said I think it would really give me a good idea of the amount of work that goes into getting a glider into the air.

tggzzz
28th Oct 2012, 18:14
I have read (from a powered aircraft point of view) that the circuit is a busy time for the pilot(s), I don't know if it is the same for gliding but I can certainly understand why it is a training priority.
When gliding you have to assume that

none of the other aircraft have a radio
the club's launchpoint radio is irrelevant because might or might not be on, and in any case they almost certainly can't give you instructions
there are often other gliders in the circuit too, they might well "pinch your piece of grass", and you'll have to decide to land somewhere else
there's no such thing as a standard circuit: the circuit is modified according to whether lift/sink is encountered

so, yes, it can get busy and training does address the issues ;)

As an example, at my club I've watched three gliders land abreast of each other within a few seconds; at a pinch another two could have done it as well!

(And that's not considering competitions, where there can be up to three movements per minute as they launch all (~50) gliders within an hour.)

cats_five
28th Oct 2012, 19:23
You might find that for the three placements within 75 miles radius there is a club somewhere handy for all of them.

astir 8
29th Oct 2012, 08:27
Just a teensy hint re circuits.

At some point you will be concentrating on the landing area, working out your height and distance from your proposed point of arrival on the ground.

And the person in the back seat will say "look outside the circuit as well as inside" (or words to that effect).

Because outside the circuit is where other gliders come from, at the same height and with the same destination! They shouldn't, but it happens.

(if the instructor doesn't have to say that to you, at least once, you'll be better than I was!)

Enjoy gliding! :ok:

phiggsbroadband
29th Oct 2012, 10:20
Hi Chris, just looking at the BGA map, you are unlikely to be more than 40 miles from any Gliding Club, anywhere except the remotest parts of Scotland. I used to drive 50 miles to reach a good club, which because of the fast main-roads, took me just one hour. So your gliding day needs to take into account the traveling time.

However there are clubs and there are CLUBS... Some small clubs just have a dozen members, one tea-pot, no permenant buildings, and meet only when the weather is best. You could arrive on site with just two other members, and sit in your car for a few hours waiting for conditions to improve and more people (+instructors.) to turn out.

On the other hand, some clubs have upwards of 600 members, living accomodation, club staffed canteen, internet connection, and always someone available for engineering, winching and instructing. The membership fees in both cases can be similar, as there are some 'economies to scale'. If the club has a web-cam, you can decide if conditions are Ok for what you want to do, before you set out.

Chris the Robot
31st Oct 2012, 13:44
Thanks for the advice so far, I must say I am rather surprised at how busy some gliding airfields can get. I imagine the emphasis on maintaining a good lookout would be useful when flying powered types as well, particularly to fly-ins etc.

I would probably try and stay with one club if practically possible, preferably a place which has a reasonably large membership as from what I can tell it should be easier to fly often. I suppose one of the most important things is the ratio of gliders and instructors to students. That said, other facilities (such as a canteen) would be useful.

Fitter2
31st Oct 2012, 14:24
I must say I am rather surprised at how busy some gliding airfields can get.

Some years ago, Farnborough were making a case for airspace and did a survey of other local users. They happened to pick the week of a competition at Lasham when 100 gliders were launched in a 1 hour window, over 300 movements/hour. (Each launch = 1 glider take off, 1 tug take off, 1 tug landing). It's not always as busy as that, but on a good soaring day can get close. A good lookout is emphasised all through training (and on currency checks).