PDA

View Full Version : What handed are you?

Rollingthunder
11th Apr 2002, 15:47
I am left handed.
I understand that 11 - 13 % of the peoples are LH.
Including the last 4 presidents of the U.S.A. (caveat : not sure of current prez or if this means anything at all)
My hand writing is clear and precise and painless (sometimes - artistic) as are most other things in my brain sides.
First teacher to challenge this mode got shot down in flames.

whiz
11th Apr 2002, 15:54
Now you're gonna think Im being awkward, but there are a variety of things that I can do well with my right hand , and a variety of things that I can do well with my left hand, but none that I can do well with both ... am I ambidextrous ? ... or just awkward. ;)

I await your response before I complete the poll

FlyingForFun
11th Apr 2002, 15:54
I'm left-handed too. That makes 100% so far (although the sample size of 2 leaves a little to be desired!)

However, I use a knife and fork right-handed, as well as doing many other two-handed activities right-handed. This always confused my parents. And my best mate is right-handed, but uses a knife and fork left-handed - go figure!

[Edited because whiz got his reply in just a few seconds before me, so the sample size is now 3, and the left-handers number 67%]

FFF
-------------

Rollingthunder
11th Apr 2002, 16:00
Well, to the basic, if you wish.

What hand do you write with - best?

AerBabe
11th Apr 2002, 16:00
Right-handed... but for some reason I abseil left-handed.
Anyway, my vote should get things back on the right track (if you pardon the pun)
Will my handedness disadvantage me if I ever fancy becomming an FI? :)

The Greaser
11th Apr 2002, 16:03
I'm underhanded

Loki
11th Apr 2002, 17:15
I am amazed at the number of left handed people in ATC (including me)

Kalium Chloride
11th Apr 2002, 18:18
I'm cackhanded :D

somewhatconcerned
11th Apr 2002, 18:19
You missed out single handed and cack handed.

Sorry someone had to say it:D

Edited to say '******! beaten to it by a minuite'

pigboat
11th Apr 2002, 18:32
Had some Captains I've flown with call me hamhanded. Generally with an uncomplementary adjective in front of it.:p

Hugh Jarse
11th Apr 2002, 19:32
Write lefthanded.
Snooker lefthanded
Cricket/tennis/baseball righthanded
Rifle/pistol righthanded
Knife/fork righthanded
Spoon lefthanded
Everything else ambi

Just completely [email protected]#ed up I guess :D

RW-1
11th Apr 2002, 19:33
Right handed, though can use left as I broke my right arm whilst a lad.

I wonder what Slasher will say about this thread hehe ...

Send Clowns
11th Apr 2002, 20:11
I can fly aerobatics either handed - basically because I went from the Bulldog (left-handed only in the left seat) to the Grob (right handed in the left seat) to the Firefly (right handed in the right seat, bizarrely). But I a right-hande, and our pole is now looking very normal at around 15% south paw.

AerBabe
11th Apr 2002, 20:15
Whose pole looks normal?! :eek: :D :eek:

Send Clowns
11th Apr 2002, 21:19
:o Oooops, 'poll' I mean. Not much I can sayto that, except thank you for exposing that information to public ridicule, Babe :( .

briteandbreezy
11th Apr 2002, 21:22
As a youngster I was left-handed, but now I'm right handed! (Due to my very first schoolteacher... who took pleasure in beating the living daylights outta me everyday for the whole school year whenever she saw me completing any tasks 'left-handedly'!!)

I still wear my watch on my right wrist though!!!! :p

divingduck
11th Apr 2002, 22:49
right handed me...

I remember reading once that premature babies grow up predominantly left handed...

comments?

JudyTTexas
11th Apr 2002, 23:23
I'm a "right handed" ... except, I too broke my arm and was in a cast for 8.5 months. I learned to use the curling iron with my left hand without burning "ALL" the hide off my forehead. ;)

scran
11th Apr 2002, 23:32
Bit mixed up like you Huge.

Bat right handed at cricket, but bowl left arm.

Kick left-footed, throw left handed

Play Tennis and squash left handed

Play Hockey, and comfortable either fore (right) or back (left) stick

write right handed

Otherwise - completely normal!!!!!!
:D :p :rolleyes:

Slasher
12th Apr 2002, 00:35
Writing - left handed
Guitaring - right
Golfing - right
Footying - right foot
[email protected] - ambi (need both at once!):D

min
12th Apr 2002, 02:19
Entirely right handed. Parents all right handed. Ex is right handed. His parents right handed.

However: I have 3 sons, 2 of whom are left handed, and the right handed one eats left handed and kicks left footed. Very very very bizarre. No premmies amongst them, so can't comment on that bit, but I did hear a theory once about some "lack of oxygen during birth" link.

M.

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2002, 02:21
I don't have hands but I'm right hooved on my front legs and left hooved on my back legs...

And in case you're wondering, I type with my tongue. :p

Through difficulties to the cinema

Throtlemonkey
12th Apr 2002, 02:22
I can do anything with either hand but my hand writing is less messy right handed (it's crap anyway due to nerve damage), in cricket I can bat either way and often swap over while the bowler is walking away just to stuff em around.

Windy Militant
12th Apr 2002, 08:42
I'm fed up with being discriminated against! It's about time all of us Ambi-sinisters got together and demanded our lefts :D

The Nut Behind The Wheel
12th Apr 2002, 08:54
This is a sinster topic!

Are you trying to find out which hand you are going to shake me with, on account of the material I have been viewing on the net, or what?:mad:

P.S. don't tell Mrs. Nut;)

Who has control?
12th Apr 2002, 09:05
Left handed & proud of it. Its you dexter-people that have you hands on the wrong arms, not us :) :) :)

I'm right-handed with scissors though, but LHD with carving knives. I found a left-hand tool shop once, but couldn't get on with any of them.

Man-on-the-fence
12th Apr 2002, 12:24
Well ,I write right handed and do most other things with my right hand (careful!!), I do have an annoying habit of using power tools with my left hand however.

Most of the time however I am Kack handed:D :cool:

Papillon
12th Apr 2002, 12:40
I'm left handed, but the thing is that you grow up being forced to use certain things right handed. It shouldn't be forgotten that peer pressure plays a big part in this, as people tend to copy others ways of doing things. Before you know it you are doing things right handed.

As an example, I throw a ball right handed, but I never picked up a dart until I was rather older than two or three, hence I throw a dart left handed as it felt natural and I was in a position to make up my own mind. I've no doubt that left to my own devices I would thrown a ball left handed as well. Racquet sports are played right handed for the same reason, but I play cricket and golf left-handed.

It is an interesting point that the world is designed for right handers. If this kind of discrimination was shown to another group there would be uproar. Some things have to be one or the other, but quite frequently there are products that could be designed for use by both left or right handers but are deliberately designed for righties. The flex on a kettle is an example - with many it is impossible to use left handed, when it would be just as easy to have the flex favouring neither right nor left. That's just discrimination, pure and simple.

Brit Abroad
12th Apr 2002, 13:01
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous........

Surly Bondslipper
12th Apr 2002, 15:28
I'm a 100 southpaw, crap handwriting, swap my knife and fork over etc.

I was less than delighted to read somewhere that we have a reduced life expectancy, and tend to drop off the perch years before right handers. In fact, it went on, there are no very old lefties about.

So can anybody please cheer me up by letting me know of any ancient left-hander you have come across?
:(

Techchick
12th Apr 2002, 18:47
Was going to say cakhanded, but KC beat me there....

unusual for us, eh, KC??;) ;) :p :p

OzExpat
12th Apr 2002, 20:21
Unlike Slasher, I can only use one hand at a time...:(

BEXIL160
12th Apr 2002, 22:15
Similar story to others....

Left handed in all things except due to over zealous School Teacher now write with Right hand.... took two years to learn to write, couldn't figure out why at the time (aged 5 you don't question formidable lady school teachers)... still crap handwriting;)

Still do the cack handed crossover with knife and fork, spoon the "wrong" way etc

BEX

Rollingthunder
12th Apr 2002, 23:16
Interesting to see that at this time there are as many LHs as Ambis. Still a small sample size, almost 600 views but less than a hundred votes.

"If the left side of the brain
controls the right side of the body,
Then only left handed people
are in their right minds.";)

LowNSlow
13th Apr 2002, 09:17
Me dexter, not sinister. Except when there's a full moooooooon :D

djk
13th Apr 2002, 09:22
I'm cackhanded, though I use a knife & fork righthanded
As for the "which hand do you write with better" I'd have said neither as they both end up like childish scribbles :D but that really depends on the type of pen that I use. for some weird reason I scribble with a blue inked pen, yet take more time if the ink is black.
And also my susie is cackhanded too. We lefties should stick together :D

divingduck, I've never heard of the theory about premature babies becoming mostly lefthanded. I was actually a late baby, and even though I was my mother's second baby, she spent longer in labour with me than she did with my sister. It must have been reversed in my family. so far only one person from each generation has ended up being cackhanded and strangely enough we have also ended up with different coloured eyes from the rest of the family (rest of family's eyes tend to be brown).. and it goes as follows:-

Grandfather:- left-handed & had blue eyes
Uncle:- left handed & has green eyes
Me:- left handed & also has green eyes.

I wonder what genetic throwback my sprog will turn out to be
:)

OzExpat
13th Apr 2002, 11:57
I voted, really I did. Honest! Seems a pity that I ain't cack-handed coz I can't really add anything to this discussion...:(

somewhatconcerned
13th Apr 2002, 14:53
If bodys of left handed people are controled by the left side of the brain and right handed people the right side.

That leads me to believe that Ambi people must be males as I have always been told that our brains are controlled by an organ positioned along the center line of our bodys.:confused:

Rollingthunder
13th Apr 2002, 15:39
Right-Handers have been giving us trouble since the beginning of time. In ancient Egypt, the mostly left-handed population of the
Children of Israel were enslaved by right-handed Egyptians. We believe that many Egyptians converted to Left-Handedism
after the Plagues. These converts can never truly be left-handers, but if they sincerely believe, then they will be spared from the
great Right-Handed Purging. But that's kind of off the subject. Back to historical right-handed persecution.

In ancient Greece, all of the great thinkers were left-handed. Zeus was left-handed. Now it may seem like Zeus was a bad guy,
having sex with all those mortal women, who not many people know were right-handed. In actuality, he was trying to
re-populate the earth with left-handers, and weed out the undesirables. Most lightening bolts were aimed at right-handers.

In Salem, Massachusetts 1692,(slightly before the Desiderata was discovered in Baltimore) during the witch trials, many innocent left-handers lost their lives to right-handed jealousy. Most historians (being right-handed) chose to lie about the nature of these burnings. The witches (who were not witches, but merely left-handers) were burned alive because of their increased mental capabilities and ravishing good looks by ugly right-handers.

* An additional note: most advanced alien races are left-handed.

Rollingthunder
13th Apr 2002, 15:47
Jesus
Luke Skywalker
Julius Ceasar
Beethoven
Sarah Jessica Parker
Leonardo da Vinci
Tom Cruise
Brent Spiner
Tim Allen
Wil Wheaton
Aristotle
Emma Thompson
Michael Dorn
Gandhi
Matthew Broderick
Alexander the Great
JFK
Clinton

djk
13th Apr 2002, 18:01
I could add a few more to that list

Jimi Hendrix
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan (yes even though he plays guitar right-handed, he writes & draws like a lefty)

HugMonster
13th Apr 2002, 21:24
I'm right-handed, but deal cards left-handed. Also, I'm a right-footed left-footer (TG will be able to work that one out) and my right eye is the master-eye. My father is left-handed, but eats right-handed...

Konkordski
15th Apr 2002, 14:58
Um...how many of you lefties are Airbus F/Os? :eek:

HugMonster
15th Apr 2002, 23:21
OK - how many northpaws are Airbus Skippers? :eek: :eek: :p

tony draper
17th Apr 2002, 08:59
When I first came to this planet it was necessary to hide three of my tenticles for obvious reasons, one has become accoustomed to using just two now, but one also understands how you are such a backward species.
Only having the use of two opposable thumbs is bit of a bind. :rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
17th Apr 2002, 11:57
Everybody is born right handed. It's only the greatest that over come it. :cool:

I'm guessing I was born RH but after I peeled an apple at age 3 my RH was out of commission for a long time, and never will work properly (for some things at least) so I've overcome it :p

Alpha Leader
18th Apr 2002, 13:41
I don't care - I usually wait for Mrs. Alpha Leader to get home
:D

ShyTorque
18th Apr 2002, 22:22
Mr Draper an alien eh?

I knew something wasn't right. Especially five tenticles and only letting people see two of them.

If I had that many I would probably get them all out after a couple of beers and frighten people just for a laugh, great party trick :D

OH SORRY TONY! You said TeNticles....:)