PDA

View Full Version : 9th October 1941, Saltford Station Yard...

Mr BlueSky
24th Oct 2012, 23:54
Two Westland Whirlwind fighter aircraft crashed after a mid-air collision.

One was piloted by Pilot Officer Ormonde Hoskins aged 26 of 263 Squadron, flying Whirlwind P6968, operating out of RAF Charmy Down, situated just north of Bath. His aircraft plummeted into the Saltford station yard's weighbridge and exploded, he died instantly on impact.

The other pilot involved in the collision was Flight Lieutenant Humphrey Coghlan. F/L Coghlan bailed out at 5,000 feet and landed in Weston High Street (on the West side of Bath) his Whirlwind P6999 crashed at Kelston.

Looking for information on P6999, where exactly did she impact, how much was retrieved and has the crash site been surveyed post WWII...

Stu...

Mr BlueSky
26th Oct 2012, 19:06
Any information that you might have concerning the fate of the wreckage of P6999 would be helpfull... ;)

Stu...

Mr BlueSky
1st Nov 2012, 15:35
Well, while we're at it the WFP would like to see anything you may have squirreled away that was once attached to a Whirlwind fighter or was meant to be, doesn't matter whether it's big or small, we're interested in hearing about it. Any photographs that you may have that show internal structure and/or close up detailing of main undercarriage assembly, engine nacelle or other would be greatfully received...

Just PM me with the details...

Stu...

aviate1138
1st Nov 2012, 15:56
We all want to have a look :(

Mr BlueSky
2nd Nov 2012, 18:27
aviate, I would like to see some on here as well, but I'd be very surprised if any private photo's are posted, but there's always a first... ;)

Stu...