PDA

View Full Version : FI rating after conversion

Skymaster15L
24th Oct 2012, 17:10
Hello everyone,

as I am in the process of converting my US license to JAA, every so often I try to explore potential stepping stones once I am done with the fATPL conversion. I do realize it is tough market out there, esp. now, and after reading thread after thread after thread about the slim to nil chance of making it into an outfit that actually pays YOU to fly their equipment, I'd like to think there are other ways out there to log hours and build on your experience. Flight instructing is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, while at the same time hoping there is at least slightly more vibrancy in this sector of aviation compared with the airlines here in Europe. At the same time, i feel FI would be something I would like to do and be good at, and not necessarily to just advance myself professionally.

While looking at some FI courses offered by various flight schools in the UK, I've noticed all of them post the flight time per-requisites before being admitted to their course, in conformity with JAR-FCL. For example:

Before commencing an approved Flight Instructor Course an applicant must satisfy the pre–course entry requirements as per JAR-FCL 1.335.
Hold either a valid UK CAA or JAR-FCL aeroplane pilot licence, which includes a valid Single Engine Piston (Land) Class or single pilot, single Engine Type Rating.
Meet the Knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) as per Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.470.
Have at least 30 hours on single engine piston powered aeroplanes of which at least 5 hours shall be in the six months preceding the pre-entry flight test.
Completed at least 10 hours instrument flight instruction in aeroplanes of which not more than 5 hours may be instrument ground time in a FNPT or a flight simulator.
Completed at least 20 hours of cross country flight as PIC of aeroplanes including a cross country flight of at least 540 km (300nm) in the course of which full-stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the aerodromes of departure shall be made.
Pass a specific pre-entry flight test with a FI qualified as per JAR-FCL 1.330(f) based upon the proficiency check as per JAR-FCL 1.240(b), within the six months preceding the start of the course.

An important question jumps to mind after reading this. For some of these hour requirements such as the 20 hrs of cross country, or the 300 nm X country flight, will my hours logged in the US (which are all in numerical conformity to these requirements) be able to count towards there requirements? I mean, I understand that they will count towards my JAA CPL licenses when converting, otherwise the CAA would ask for more than the some X minimum hours and "training as required" for the skills test. However, once I am out of this particular "conversion zone" I'd just like to make sure there are no surprises.

I do apologize in advance if this comes across as a blatantly idiotic question to any of you, however my ATPL theory studies that I'm currently working on are still in their infancy with regards to certain subjects such as Air Law which probably explain licensing, conversion, etc a whole lot better.

Thank you :ok: