PDA

View Full Version : US Visa - advice required

Blindside
16th Apr 2001, 01:35
I have booked an intensive PPL in the states. The following is extracted from their advice for entry into the US.

"The address you will be staying at .........., this is the address for the Immigration form also. On entry into the States you will be asked the purpose of your visit, it should be described as pleasure, otherwise they will give you the 3rd degree, there are no Visas required for the CAA training at this level, you cannot get a job with it. They are always a bit suspicious of young men on their own entering the States, so be prepared."

Is this statement correct?

I travel to the US on business 2 or 3 times a year, and could seriously do without a negative entry on my passport due to misleading US immigration officials. Also would my personal insurance be affected by acting in this way??

Has anybody got any thoughts??

------------------
Half man, Half jalfrezi.

EGDR
16th Apr 2001, 02:06
Hi

Im currently in the states doing my PPL & hour building and had the same dilema. You can stay here for upto 90 days as a UK citizen under the visa waiver program, without a visa.

When you come through immigrations and they ask your intentions just say it's pleasure, which it is after all. They're not really bothered if you're here to get a PPL but to play it safe dont mention it, there can be the odd immigrations officer being a ****.

These guys seen to see themselves as American's first 'line of defence' against nasty aliens!!

Although I get the general impression they're not too worried about western Europians esp. the Brits.

(After all our country is better so they know that we're only going to be visiting !!!!)

britavia
16th Apr 2001, 07:36
So long as you emphasise that the trip is for pleasure (I wouldn't mention any PPL training as strictly speaking, you should have at least an M1 visa for such a thing), you'll be ok. Make sure you have a return ticket too.

TAF Oscar
16th Apr 2001, 13:27
I had exactly that same piece of text last October. I told Immigration at MCO exactly why I was there, but also that I was only learning to fly for pleasure (I didn't have a visa). I was allowed in no problem, and even wished good luck with my course.

Evidently I was lucky, it does seem to depend on the officials on duty at the time, check out this thread on the same subject:

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/007845.html

Good Luck
TAFO

gazelle507
16th Apr 2001, 13:39
Read my reply under 17yr old ppl in fl

BJF
16th Apr 2001, 13:40
You are not telling a lie when you say you are there for pleasure, as the PPL is regarded as a recreational licence, even though in many cases it is the first step to a professional licence.
Think of it on the same lines as going there to learn scuba diving or rock climbing etc. But to be on the safe side I wouldn't mention the PPl either as all it takes is an immigration officer who is having a bad day and he could ruin yours. Good luck with it, you'll have a great time.

BJF.

Blindside
17th Apr 2001, 01:25
Cheers for your thoughts. There is plenty to consider.

regards

------------------
Half man, Half jalfrezi.

Large Dave
17th Apr 2001, 13:36
Guys, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on when filling out the visa waiver form as to what address I should put if doing some touring, with a fairly spontaneous itenery.

Cheers,

Dave.

ickle black box
17th Apr 2001, 13:44
L Dave,

I'd put down the first address that you are staying at. I'm a bit scared when I arrive at US customs, I always say 'I've got a pilot's licence, I'm here for a holiday, and also to do a bit of flying" Seems to keep them happy!

ickle

capt_kangeroo
17th Apr 2001, 19:51
I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here but what this company is telling you do do is illegal. Even though you are learning to fly for pleasure you are, in effect, training in the US. There was a thread in this forum regarding this recently and it will be worth your while reading it. Any form of training must be declared and if the immigration authorities find out, you will be ejected from the States and possibly banned from returning for a period of time.

Any school should supply you with the correct and legal visa information. If they fail to do so, you should ask youself why.

herniair
17th Apr 2001, 20:20
It is wrong to suggest they are not worried about Europeans as the primary concern is to prevent anyone who is intending to work in the U.S. from entering as a tourist. Millions have done so.

People who are embarking on PPL or other recreational courses have been known to call themselves students (a different visa category for long term study) or say 'I'm going to be an airline pilot', which would excite interest and interrogation. The decision to grant entry is that of the official and, as an alien, you have no right of entry.

The advice given by the school seems sensible and legal.

Jack Frost
17th Apr 2001, 20:38
BlindSide,

Don't let Capt.Kangaroo worry or complicate the matter, I have been to the States loads of times. Every time I have said that it was for pleasure and always tell them that I am over for the flying (when they ask). Florida is a haven for student pilots from all over the world and they know it.
If flying to MCO Orlando intl airport, you'll be in and out of immigration/customs so quick that you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

ronchonner
17th Apr 2001, 20:40
tell to the custom' officer:Sir, I come to the USA, to fly, to work and to marry one of your US citizen for a green card!!!
you will be the welcome in the USA.
try this, it works, they don't like people telling they come for pleasure or as a tourist!!!! :) :) :)

Blindside
17th Apr 2001, 22:59
Bloody hell, who let the nutter in!

cheers for all the comments.

regards

------------------
Half man, Half jalfrezi.

capt_kangeroo
18th Apr 2001, 12:32
I'm noy trying to complicate the matter at all. Bottom line is that if you are going to the US to do a PPL you are training. The advice the school are giving isn't correct. If you are hour building then that's a different matter, you are not training but flying for pleasure. Yes, I know doing a PPL is flying for pleasure too!

There are a couple of Florida based schools who supply this advice because they want to save money and bypass the immigration system.

All I am saying is to be careful - do whatever sits well with you. Enjoy the flying!

ronchonner
18th Apr 2001, 21:18
ok, guy, i m going to be nice with you...
as you look like so ignorent (what to excpect from british guys just good to pay crap UK JAR schools), i tell you what you can do: go to the USA with a B2 visa(tourist), write on the I94 form:"prospect student".
as a prospect student under a tourist visa, you have 90 days to find the school of your choice, then apply for a change of immigration status.
if you need the form, go on www.ins.gov. (http://www.ins.gov.)
explain the truth in front of the custom officer, smile and be polite.
they are not going to kick out somebody who come with money.

your welcome!!!!

ps http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gifnce you have your ATP, write me, I ve some jobs on turboprops for you!

Flare_you_fool!
19th Apr 2001, 05:17
Doesn't a US school have to have a FAR part 141 approved program inorder to issue a training visa to foreign students? This may be the reason they do not offer to support a training visa for your PPL.
If you tell the INS on entry that you are "training" they may well interpret that as needing a visa and just say no to your entry on a tourist visa waiver form. After all it's exactly what it says a "tourist visa waiver" not a "training visa waiver".
Good luck whatever you try
Regards
FYF