PDA

View Full Version : Forced Landing with power

777fly
23rd Oct 2012, 22:45
At the PPL stage we all practised the 'forced landing with power' scenario. I've had the 'forced landing without power' for real, no choice there, but anyone care to share their experience of having to put their serviceable aircraft down in a random field for some reason (weather, lost, low fuel) ? What made you do it? Did you take off again? Did you talk to anyone, in the air or on the ground? Are there any legalities involved, police, ATC, etc?

DeltaV
24th Oct 2012, 05:35
I've had both the engine stopped forced landing and the weather related precautionary landing into a farmer's field. Of the latter in my judgement it was either that of a probable loss of control or a CFIT in rapidly forming coastal fog.

On the ground I walked off to find the farmer and let him know what I'd done and why. He was very helpful and later when the fog cleared I took off and continued my journey.

foxmoth
24th Oct 2012, 07:31
Much the same as DeltaV, flying round London TMA and weather closed in (unforecast), found a nice field with a farmhouse at the end for a cuppa, lady was very surprised when I knocked at the door and said "hope you don't mind, I have left my aircraft in your field"
Tried to take off when it cleared, very long field so with a very light wind I tried to go off downwind but a bit of a clingy surface so could not get the speed, turned round at the end and off no problem.
Good bit in the experience bag as I had not had my PPL for very long at that time.:ok: