PDA

View Full Version : How many single engine piston hours are enough?

poonpossum
23rd Oct 2012, 14:10
Hi guys.

So I am currently in my first job with zero scope for progression due to only having a fleet of 2 and no larger twin or turbine aircraft.

As I plod along, I want to have a goal, where I say, 'ok, thats enough, time to move on,' but I was wondering what you would recommend as a good goal?

I am constantly telling myself that 700 hours would be good, but really, I have no idea.

Howard Hughes
23rd Oct 2012, 20:55
You can never have too many!;)

GUARD
23rd Oct 2012, 21:27
First 1000 hours single, every hour after that should be multi, depending of course on what job you're aiming for. This is a good mix for airlines.

If you want to be a seaplane pilot then it doesn't matter.

Just make sure you enjoy every single hour you fly !!!!:ok:

Leatherdog
23rd Oct 2012, 22:51
I find myself in the airlines now and looking back at my stepping stones, the single biggest error I made was leaving a job before securing a new one. I ended up out of work for 12 months, not current, and back at the same office asking to start work again. I was lucky I left on good terms.

Focus on applying to all the companies you want to work for next. Keep current on your type at your current job and network people who pass though. Ring them up and humbug them for a chance. If they don't have anything, keep them talking to develop a relationship. Ask for advise and guidance for your next step, before long their defencive maner will loosen. Next time you call they'll remember you and give you a real and honest answer, perhaps even a contact. Consider NOT hiding your networking from you current boss, he/she maybe able to help, nothing helps more than a glowing recommendation.

I've seen other blokes leave a modest gig and driving off into the sunset never to be seen in the industry again.

The airlines have gone VERY quiet. See this as your chance to get cracking and be ready for the next pilot intake. Total time is just as valuable as twin, turbine, etc.

Best of luck mate, take lots of pictures/movies and really enjoy the tough life, you will look back with the fondest memories. Be nice to the nurses and teachers and resist the urge to fly low along Cable Beach. Stay safe.

Leatherdog.

The Green Goblin
23rd Oct 2012, 23:28
Guard is onto it.

1000 hours single, then you should be looking for a multi engine job or, right now looking for a single job with an operator that will give you multi engine progression.

In an ideal world you'll have about 1500 hours and 500 multi when you get a regional airline job.

2000 hours and you'll have an ATPL by now and be looking for a regional command.

2500 hours and you'll have 500 multi crew turbine command and 1000 total multi command and be looking for a major airline job.

Of course the above figures are a guideline, most folk fall within a 1000 hours of them in their progression through the industry.

And just remember at 700 hours you are in danger territory. You get pretty confident after about 500 hours and are in for a big scare somewhere before 1000 hours which will make you realise how much you don't know.

In this game you are humbled every slippery slope you climb.

Enjoy the journey, it's far better than the destination that I can tell you.

lilflyboy262...2
23rd Oct 2012, 23:56
Except for those of us that get on with gigs that have a 2 year contract at roughly 900hrs a year....
End up like me with 2500hrs, 250 multi (50PIC), 2000 PIC, 1200 turbine.

Just find a job you enjoy doing. When you stop enjoying it. Move on. The airlines aren't the be all and end all of aviation.

Exaviator
24th Oct 2012, 02:57
As I plod along, I want to have a goal, where I say, 'ok, thats enough, time to move on,' but I was wondering what you would recommend as a good goal?

I don't think you need to concern yourself with just how many single engine hours are enough. You move on to the next level when the opportunity presents itself. In the meantime keep adding to your skills to facilitate that moment.

lk978
24th Oct 2012, 04:02
if you have to ask you don't have enough:ok:

Piano Man
24th Oct 2012, 04:09
If it involves a radial engine then never enough :}

poonpossum
24th Oct 2012, 04:11
Awesome insight guys thanks for the answers.

I suppose you are right about getting another job before leaving the current one, which I had pictured myself doing, going to get a multi upgrade and then go hunting again.

avconnection
24th Oct 2012, 04:21
It depends on who you talk to but there are some high ups out there who do consider how much you hop around. It is how things work in aviation and they understand that but they do still like to see stability; which no doubt suits most of us anyway.

Always be on the look out for new work, but be more persistent with those companies that will offer you the opportunity to progress further. This will allow you to remain stable and the chance to move up without moving on. It keeps you and prospective employers content that you wont just piss off after a year.

The final thing is to not go stagnant. This will happen from time to time throughout your career but you need to weigh up the pros and cons of your situation and decide if it's worth staying put.

porch monkey
24th Oct 2012, 07:58
100. There. That's enough.

iskra13
24th Oct 2012, 08:06
And just remember at 700 hours you are in danger territory. You get pretty confident after about 500 hours and are in for a big scare somewhere before 1000 hours which will make you realise how much you don't know.

I feel I'm in this position right now, getting pretty comfortable. At least I'm aware about it and because of that, touch wood, I wont have to have any scares.

NIK320
24th Oct 2012, 08:20
the single biggest error I made was leaving a job before securing a new one
Would you still say that if your job is only 100-150 hrs per year?
Still trying to work out if I class this as 'a job' or free hours.
I would love to follow that rule, but it appears less than 500 won't get you a job without being on the operator's door step.
I'm about to roll the dice and try again up north.

travelator
24th Oct 2012, 10:28
I left every GA job I had without another one to go to (except when I went to turboprop). Longest I was out of work was 2 months. Everybody's story is different. For me, 2500 single was enough!

mpl_yz250
24th Oct 2012, 10:45
I know a certain gentleman who has approx 7000hrs in a C150. After decades in the game and a multitude of other aircraft types under the belt and over 33000hrs he is a gun.
Im sure when he was doing circuit after circuit in the 150 he didn't care what he was in as long as he was off the ground.

Wally Mk2
24th Oct 2012, 10:51
I don't believe it's based all on just how may SE hrs one has it's more the exposure & the type of flying that has been accumulated along the way in an A/C.And that could be made up of SE,gliders & of course multi's.
I recall a guy applying for a job at a Co I used to work for who had around 3000 hrs with 2000+of those hrs R/H seat basic instructing. Very few Multi IFR hrs out there in the real Chtr world. He knew stuff all about what's out there beyond the flying schools front door!
I'd rather hire a pilot who had say 1500 hrs total with say 500 of those hrs Multi ad hoc Chtr. Someone whom can think on their own two feet outside of the training area.
CMD decision making is what it's all about,flying a plane for the sake of it is the easy bit ,you don't need to be that bright (look at me !)...hell monkeys could do it !:)
500 to a 1000 hrs SE after that you don't gain that much more experience I reckon just numbers in the logbook.

Wmk2

mtrench
24th Oct 2012, 10:52
I think i have around 1300 Cessna 210's, and a few more in other singles.. Then flew around 900 multi before getting a regional gig. I wouldn't put a limit on it, it will happen and when it does, you will love it. Then you will hate it, and want the next stepping stone. Such is life in aviation.

Oakape
24th Oct 2012, 19:29
Trying to develop your aviation career is not an exact science. And trying to do it by numbers may mean you miss out on opportunities along the way.

Everyone will have different stories. My first flying job was flying PA31's & I had just over 400 hours total time when I started. Out of the 16,000 hours I now have, I only have 325 hours in total on singles. Sure, I missed out on some great flying on some great single-engined aircraft, but I did what was right for my family & I at the time. I have my regrets - everybody does.

So do what is right for you. When you feel it might be time to move on, then it probably is.