I have a flight manual or two of the pa18-90 and 95
but they are all in MPH and i would love one in KNOTS
i can do the conversion, but it would be nice to get an official
copy/version as they sometimes are set for simplicity etc
that or some operating data, maybe from a training organization
or something?
any help would be great, Thanks

note i posted this elsewhere with not much response so ill try here :D

ps this is what i think is about right atm using appx conversions and OLD afm/poh

Va 94mph 82kts
Vno 110mph 96kts
Vs 42mph 37kts
Vx 57mph 50kts
Vy 70mph 60kts
Vne 138mph 120kts
Vcruise100mph 87kts
glide 70mph 60kts

27/09
23rd Oct 2012, 07:35
You might struggle to find one in knots. The yanks used MPH right up till recent years. The vintage of the Cub probably means that all the AFM's were printed in MPH.

bonzaii
23rd Oct 2012, 07:43
hi, they are, but the one im doing my rating on is in knots

27/09
23rd Oct 2012, 07:50
hi, they are, but the one im doing my rating on is in knots

Are you talking about the ASI or the AFM that's in knots.

If it's the ASI it's probably been changed from one with MPH to one with Knots

bonzaii
23rd Oct 2012, 08:03
correct, i dont know how correct i am just doing a direct conversion. be kinda cool to get some confirmation if im oln the right track, or you think i can just do a direct conversion from the 1950s POH?

27/09
23rd Oct 2012, 08:37
Just do a direct conversion using the figures in the POM/AFM. There's plenty of electronic devices that'll do the conversions, hell my phone has a conversion app that'll do it, or just use the trusty E6B.

Half a knot here or there isn't going to matter.

If you're honest you probably cannot fly and or read the ASI to within a couple of knots. Add to that all the various errors in the system from the pitot head right up to the ASI.

Don't sweat it!!!!!

bonzaii
23rd Oct 2012, 08:43
true that, well all good, ill just bull ahead then :D i have to get rated so hopefully there is a lil leniency for rounding errors :D

Aussie Bob
23rd Oct 2012, 09:15
If there is a flight manual in knots these guys will know and help: SuperCub.org - The Home of All Things PA-18 (http://www.supercub.org)

bonzaii
23rd Oct 2012, 09:40
tru, but, no one will tell me if they actually have one, and i dont have 20USD to waste to find out lol

Skywagon1915
23rd Oct 2012, 10:07
Keep your eyes out of the cockpit and keep it straight, that's all your instructor will be looking for overall !

27/09
23rd Oct 2012, 22:47
Keep your eyes out of the cockpit and keep it straight, that's all your instructor will be looking for overall !Good advice. If your instructor is more focused on numbers rather than your ability to fly the aircraft, go find another instructor.

waren9
24th Oct 2012, 04:26
It sounds like you are worried about giving your instructor the wrong number (due to rounding) if he asks you a speed question.

Agree with whats been said already.

I would have thought modifications away from what was certified should carry at least some sort of note in the AFM (or POH) that denotes same. In this example, the applicable pages amended showing speeds in knots, an appendix with a conversion chart at the back or something similar.

Airworthiness issue? Maybe take your conversation in this direction if he gets awkward.

Lineboy4life
24th Oct 2012, 12:47
Hey there, been a while since I flew the cub (10+yrs) & never really done much in her anyways (40/50hrs)...

But if my memory serves me correct the speeds are as follows...

Takeoff = Pretty fkn slow
climb = pretty slow
cruse = still pretty slow
decent = re above

...If at any stage during flight you notice you have stopped or are moving backwards you have possibly a). stalled or b). encountered a headwind

hope this helps...:}

fujii
24th Oct 2012, 18:54
bonzaii.

Are you really ready to fly a Cub when you think you need to come to this forum for advice? Ask the instructor! It's what they get paid for.

bonzaii
24th Oct 2012, 18:56
hi, im going to go get rated in a few weeks, but the instructor and cub are in a different city and i have to access to the AFM/POH so i was trying to get a jump on it :D

fujii
24th Oct 2012, 19:06
Well pick up the phone. Get used to asking those who actually know. It helps you to the mindset to talk to ATC if you need help if things are turning to crap.

bonzaii
24th Oct 2012, 20:55
yup yup, gonna get around when i book it, i have to get my uni exams done first so i thought i'd ask the internet first :D

roundsounds
25th Oct 2012, 08:38
Your MPH to KTS conversions will be fine and im sure you'll enjoy the cub. I've got several hundred hours banner towing in a super cub flogging up and down Victor 1 at 45 knots!
Make sure you wear shoes with a solid heal (RMs are good). Runners are no good on heal brakes and they tend to get stuck folowing brake application.
Below are a couple if links you might find of use.
Remember during the landing roll just keep it straight with rudder, the tail on the ground by holding the stick back - all the way back - and wings level with ailerons!

http://www.supercubproject.com/downloads/PA-18_Information_Manual.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-3a-6of7.pdf

I'll be interested to follow you're progress.

bonzaii
25th Oct 2012, 08:53
sweet, thanks a lot, im real keen , hopefully i can get a glider tow gig along with instructing next year for some hour building :D