PDA

View Full Version : phone signal indications

rans6andrew
22nd Oct 2012, 21:32
can anyone enlighten me, please?

My phone signal strength meter (4 bars of increasing height) is accompanied by a symbol with 2 arrows (to and from) and a choice of numbers and letters.

What do they all mean. Obviously G, 2G, 3G are the different generations of signal data capability. What does it mean when it shows E or H?

The manual for the phone fudges over this, perhaps the writer didn't know either.

Ta,

Rans6...........

Phalconphixer
22nd Oct 2012, 21:46
hi,
The two way arrows are an indication that a connection is possible; its the sign for the Connectivity status
E and H are intermediate stages of the 2G 3G descriptions E stands for EDGE and equates to a midpoint between 2G and 3G (actually 2.5G or 2.75G) and H stands for HSDPA which equates to 3.5G.

OK?

rans6andrew
23rd Oct 2012, 21:11
Ta for the info.

I am surprised how quickly the phone signal goes from 4 bars to none when trying to get data, the displayed letters don't seem to relate to how fast web pages can be fetched.

Last week I was unable to make phone calls for several days despite the signal appearing to be good. I thought that it might just be the network close to my home playing up. Later in the week I was out and about and still found that the phone was not actually connecting to any network. I had to power down and re-seat the SIM before any network connection could be made. Since then it has been a bit hit and miss everywhere I have been.

Maybe time to get it looked at by the supplier...........

Rans6..

paviya
26th Oct 2012, 12:14
Thanks Phalconphixer