View Full Version : JAA / EASA ATPL to FAA ATP

JliderPilot
21st Oct 2012, 15:06
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

I have a UK issued JAA/EASA ATPL with a mid size Biz Jet type rating on it. (Trg completed at FSI, Farnborough), so current on type - class1 medical, etc.

How to I get an FAA ATP? I have heard I could sit the ATP written exam here in the UK then during recurrent training at FSI (they are a JAA/EASA and FAA accredited organisation) be ticked up for an FAA ATP on my checkride.

So is this correct and apart from filling in forms (and sending money to the CAA and FAA) is there any thing else to be done.

many thanks in advance

B200Drvr
22nd Oct 2012, 15:47
Not that simple, there is a process of validating your current license. The FAA have to request your "paperwork" from the CAA, and then go through the process of making sure you are who you say you are and have the flight experience you say you do etc. Then you have to get TSA clearance to undergo flight training for a FAA certificate. Before you start this process, contact FSI, and get confirmation that you will indeed be able to do the checkride on a recurrent. It is not always the case. The process can take a couple of months, so start early before your recurrent.