PDA

View Full Version : Small Planet Airlines -WHO?

Flapping_Madly
18th Oct 2012, 18:40
Monarch have just told me they have carefully selected this Lithuanian firm with a fleet average age of 19.2 years to operate a flight I am booked on.

I'm not sure why-- it might be that lithuanian plane that took a short cut through the grass the other day--but I'm not over pleased by this.

I'm sure the small print allows it but they seem to make a habit of using Lithuanian aircraft and it makes me uneasy. What's the attraction of Lithuanian airlines anyway? Are they cutting edge industry leaders? Or dirt cheap.

I quite like monarch now their seats are cleaner even if they are Dutch owned but charging Monarch prices and providing Small Planet service may be a slick business model. They could just sell tickets and get rid of all their aircraft.
Just getting a real moan off my chest.Sorry.

Hotel Tango
18th Oct 2012, 19:39
There was a time that Brit ACMI operators were available to fill these gaps. Sadly most have gone, unable to compete on a level field with operators from European countries with a much cheaper workforce and overheads. I have to say that if I specifically booked to fly on Monarch, Thomas Cook, Thomson etc., I would be seriously miffed if I found I was being caried by an operator which was not of my choosing. Legislation should at least protect the consumer with the right to cancel and obtain a full refund if the aircraft provided is not that of the company selected at booking.

TSR2
18th Oct 2012, 20:20
Legislation should at least protect the consumer with the right to cancel and obtain a full refund if the aircraft provided is not that of the company selected at booking.

Yes, fully agree even to the extent of last minute subs covering AOG.

750XL
18th Oct 2012, 20:28
If it puts your mind at rest a little bit...

I work with Small Planet almost daily and they're a decent bunch of tight knit people. There's a fair amount of British crew flying for them from the UK who know what they're doing :ok:

They're a bit battered inside and out but nothing to worry about :}

The SSK
19th Oct 2012, 09:47
There's a fair amount of British crew flying for them from the UK who know what they're doing

There are so many ways you can read that, none of them particularly confidence-inspiring.

750XL
19th Oct 2012, 10:01
There are so many ways you can read that, none of them particularly confidence-inspiring.

Maybe my wording wasn't perfect, but.

From what I've seen at least, there tends to be a few confused and worried looks when an Eastern European capt comes over the PA when they've booked their holiday with Monarch, Thomas cook etc and expect English crew...

easyflyer83
19th Oct 2012, 13:13
I've seen small planet crew and to be honest, they looked the part. As for uk/non uk crew it shouldn't make any difference. Large airlines such as Emirates, British Airways and Easyjet have very multi national crews. The crucial point here is the standard of English and these crews tend to have excellent grasp of English, their mother tongue and quite often an additional language. Brits, myself included, more often than not only speak English.

So having a non English crew wouldn't bother me one bit. A small relatively unknown operation shouldn't automatically get alarm bells ringing. Afterall, we have seen many such UK operations down the years.

mutt
19th Oct 2012, 16:07
Are Monarch operating flights for this years Hajj? Saw one of their 757's in Jeddah calling their own call sign.

Mutt

Mr @ Spotty M
19th Oct 2012, 20:54
The answer is yes.