PDA

View Full Version : PPL from Phillipines

smallwing
11th Apr 2002, 03:57
Ladies and Gents,

I hope you can advice on this subject. I am checking for a friend on where to get a PPL is the cheapest. Would it be the Phillipines?? If so, what are the costs should he look at.

Thanks in advance.

sw

e6b
11th Apr 2002, 10:11
I don't know if it's the cheapest but I guess by international it is cheap. You can try Omni Aviation based in Clark Field, Pampangga.
There are a lot of flying schools based in Manila, but your friend would probably waste too much time getting bogged on ground waiting for taxi clearance. NAIA (Manila) is such a big mess!
If your friend wants to be based in Manila then I guess the best choice would be Airlink Aviation.
Don't know about current rates but I check it out for you.

Later

smallwing
11th Apr 2002, 10:30
Thx e6b,

The friend is base in HK, works for the airline but is interested in flying. As you probably know, flying over here is as expensive as driving a car over here. I think he wants to stay close to home. I would recommend the good ol' US of A but see what happens. Canada is looking pretty good at the moment.

Thx in advance, keep us informed of the flying in the Phil..

combi pilot
11th Apr 2002, 17:06
Why not try Oz? If your friend intends to fly to Phil just to obtain a PPL, it might be worth taking a month's holiday to Perth, finish off the PPL in 3 weeks quick smart.

We've got great weather almost all year round (we're talking Perth here, not bloody melbourne!) and CX, QF and SQ flies regularly from HK to here.

And we're looking at about AU$9K for a PPL. Should be hell cheaper than HK or around the region i imagine!

e6b
12th Apr 2002, 07:33
Actually OZ sounds like a great deal, but if your friend wants to be close to HK then coming to here to Flip land is a good choice.
Words of advice though; i got my ppl and cpl here in Manila, but my atpl, i acquired in the USA. Not that I want to put down the flying schools here, but I found the quality of instruction a lot better in the USA, not to mention the total flying environment. If your friend is serious about flying then he should not skimp on training and always get the best he can within reasonable means.
Just my 2 cents.

smallwing
12th Apr 2002, 09:40
cp, e6b, thanks for the great advice.

i will advice the friend further. also will tell him to check it out himself on where he wants to do it, and what is he looking for overall.

Thank you guys once again. Much appreciated!