View Full Version : Network help please XPPRO SP3

BOAC
17th Oct 2012, 19:02
I'm certain this has been covered before but search is not pulling it up.

Desktop XP Pro Wired
Laptop XP Home Wireless

Both belong to 'WORKGROUP' Laptop can 'see' desktop but does not have 'permission to access'.

In the frantic Googling I realise I do not have access to secpol.msc via Computer Management, only via 'Run'. Is this a clue?

Stumped

BOAC
17th Oct 2012, 21:10
It's a co-thread with the Printer sharer thread, Milo. I can 'see' the desktop from the laptop and v-v, but still do not have 'permissions' to access from the Laptop. It really should not be this difficult!

Booglebox
18th Oct 2012, 07:13
Surely if the user / password are not the same, a box comes up and you put the required details in? (remembering to specify the computer name with a backslash)

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 07:44
This is quite amazing! I decided to completely remove both PCs from the network, followed every 'tip' on Google and cannot. Deleting the Network name in 'Computer Name' greys the 'OK' option. The network does not show on the Network Connections page either.

Boogle - yes, I understood that too. That does not happen.

PowerDragTrim
18th Oct 2012, 09:31
I am sure you have followed all this http://mikenation.net/files/Win_XP_Home_Network_Setup.pdf
I have a Livebox and that will not network wirelessly - only by cable.

Ancient Observer
18th Oct 2012, 09:41
My main pc is now 7 so my memory of XP is dim, and limited to a spare pc in another room. Isn't there something about having to decide in both the XP pcs what is shared, so that the stuff you want to share is put in the "Shared" file?

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 11:00
PDT - all went swimmingly until p10 - I do not have an 'Authentication' tab.

PowerDragTrim
18th Oct 2012, 14:04
BOAC - neither do I! Press on and see what happens? My home network works fine with XP, 7 and Linux. Good luck and I am sure you have already seen this How to Set up a Wireless Network in Windows XP: 14 steps (http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Wireless-Network-in-Windows-XP)

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 15:05
PDT - restored the Auth tab by starting 'Wired Autoconfig' in services. However, you guessed it - no change.:ugh:

BOAC
18th Oct 2012, 18:46
Yes, I bottled out there and also at the suggestion of an unknown 'Registry Patch'.

Right now I'd be content if I could delete the network and start again, but how do you do that?

PowerDragTrim
19th Oct 2012, 07:52
Just a thought. On your desktop - Start > My Computer.
Both 'Local Disc (C)' and the files in 'Files stored on this Computer' all have little hands under the icons to signify they are to be shared?
These are the notes I made to network my computers by cable:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84055647/XP%20Network%20Setup.rtf
Hope it helps!

BOAC
19th Oct 2012, 08:29
Appreciate the help, PDT - that is pretty much my script too, but I still get 'Network path not....'

Right now to be able to remove the network would be pleasing!

PowerDragTrim
19th Oct 2012, 13:13
Sorry - bit beyond me without seeing the machines.

BOAC
19th Oct 2012, 18:17
I thought you would say that :) Not a particularly good option! Is there no other way?

green granite
19th Oct 2012, 18:53
Right now I'd be content if I could delete the network and start again, but how do you do that?

Edit the registry? After a back up of course. It's a bit of a last resort method though, jots of info here

MDGx Registry Guide + Hacks (http://www.mdgx.com/reg.htm)

BOAC
19th Oct 2012, 20:25
You talked me into it. My concern was I had done a lot of weeding in the reg to get rid of a persistent Nero Klingon and I did not want to go back past that, but I had room.

Still not sure how to get this USB printer onto the network though. Hours of fun, and, I suspect at least one more restore.:)

Booglebox
19th Oct 2012, 21:22
Dare I suggest the XP "Home Network Setup Wizard" (or something similarly named)? When I used to run XP, running it solved many problems...

BOAC
19th Oct 2012, 21:31
Yes, Boogle - started there a week ago. However, a 'clean slate' and a bit of 'Tom's Hardware' and tonight I can print from the laptop. We will see what tomorrow brings.

profexpat
19th Oct 2012, 22:38
BOAC, PowerDragTrim provides the clue, you have to allow 'shares' on both computers to let the other (Desktop or PC) see what's on the other end of the network.

Right click on the Directory (or Disk), chose 'Sharing & Security' which is halfway down on the pop-up menu, then fill in the blanks.

BOAC
20th Oct 2012, 15:12
prof - 'shares' were enabled at both ends from day 1 but made no difference!

PS I have not dared try the laptop connection today:)

BOAC
20th Oct 2012, 20:52
Yes, Milo, they do, but as pointed out earlier if they don't, XP (anyway) brings up a log-in form.

(and to put your mind at rest, my guest account is
a) disabled but
b) has a password anyway):)

Mr Optimistic
20th Oct 2012, 21:55
all firewalls switched off or network marked as 'trusted' ?

BOAC
21st Oct 2012, 07:39
Remembering that it did start working after a 'clean sweep', so this is 'history' now and I obviously had done something wrong (some sort of clue from the OS would have been nice).

Mr O - tried both

Milo - I did get a log-in prompt at one point, no network drive involved, just a 'straightforward' (if only!) attempt to view the host from the client, and it saw the request as 'Guest' and entering that p/w worked.. BB in post#5 seems to agree.

Avast and ZA, both disabled/fiddled with etc but not uninstalled, but I repeat, with the same settings on both NOW it works.

BOAC
21st Oct 2012, 21:21
Don't know if this is a clue, but I cannot access shared files on the Desktop from the laptop AND I cannot access Shared Docs on the Desktop from the Desktop! I can access the laptop share files.

I found the SharedDocs folder had renamed to Documents and applied the win.ini fix. I have increased IRPStackSize from 12 to 18 with no change. Do I keep on increasing that (max 50)?

BOAC
22nd Oct 2012, 07:33
1) get rid of ZoneAlarm. Even if disabled that can block local shares. Uninstall it, then set the windows firewall to defaults. Behind a router you do not need ZoneAlarm if the Windows firewall is workingWill try. However, the identical ZA set up on the laptop (NB XP Home) allows access to laptop SharedDocs from both laptop and Desktop
2) what win.ini fix? - I think it was an M$ tech help site and was to fix a 'missing' SharedDocs' folder and involved replacing the existing win.ini with "[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-21785"
And where are you getting the idea of changing the IRPStack size? Is that because you were getting a "not enough storage space" error on trying to connect? If so, you'd not mentioned that before- yes, again I think an M$ solution. My mistake for not reporting the message as I have only recently started trying to access my 'SharedDocs' on the same machine and noticed that bit. (Desktop)
Microsoft online documentation says you need to set that in multiples of 5 so I suggest you up it on both machines to 20 (15 is the default in XP). Have not seen '5' on any M$ site, only suggestions of multiples of 3 up to 'max 50'. My reg appears to suggest jumps of 6's.
And is Avast just the antivirus version -or the Internet security version? - basic

EDIT: ZA away. Windows firewall enabled. Both with and without exceptions I cannot access the Desktop from the laptop. Trying to access Shared Docs on Desktop from the Desktop no longer gives the server message, just 'network name cannot be found'.

BOAC
22nd Oct 2012, 19:28
Sorted the access to SharedDocs - the Sharename was still showing 'Documents' from the previous problem.

Still no joy with W firewall. I have reverted to ZA and all is now well again.

Mike-Bracknell
22nd Oct 2012, 23:42
Surely if the user / password are not the same, a box comes up and you put the required details in? (remembering to specify the computer name with a backslash)

If the cached username in the client XP box has a different password to the identically named cached username in the host XP box, the negotiation will silently fail (i.e. without prompting).

You should always (in a workgroup scenario) prefix your username with the name of the computer giving access:

e.g. in a situation with BoxA and BoxB, where:
- BoxA wants to access the share "fredshare" on BoxB, and
- BoxB has the share "fredshare" protected by username "fred"
...then when you attempt to browse the BoxB share with command \\boxb\fredshare you will need to enter your requested username as "BoxB\fred" rather than just "fred" (as a 'non-qualified' username will always inherit the prefix of the user's workgroup-based computer).

You should also ensure that the share and filesystem permissions are set properly. The share permissions should be set as unrestrictedly as possible, and access should be subsequently given based upon filesystem permissions instead (unless of course you're using FAT which doesn't have an underlying filesystem permission attribute).

e.g. - on the aforementioned article, the "fredshare" share should (probably) have share permissions of "everyone - full control", and then the NTFS permissions underneath it should therefore control the access of users (including, but not limited to "fred").

Obviously, all bets are off if you're using any sort of firewall and/or anything aggregating browsing information as you don't have any/enough control over those mechanisms to have a reliable structure.

Hope that helps.
Mike.

BOAC
23rd Oct 2012, 07:19
.....to add that there is a setting in the XP Local Security Policy that if left unset will cause all access from a network to be via the Guest account, and this will bring up a 'Guest' password prompt box. What happens where the Guest a/c does not have a password set I do not know - I assume it just goes straight in?.

jimtherev
23rd Oct 2012, 08:40
What happens where the Guest a/c does not have a password set I do not know - I assume it just goes straight in?.
Yes, iirc.

Mr Optimistic
28th Oct 2012, 10:17
would starting afresh with a new user on the laptop help ? That's user account not operator (not yet anyway). Upgrade laptop to xp pro? All the problems like this I have had were rooted in software firewalls or more honestly my ignorance of same. Never had to faff around with registry or stacks....

BOAC
28th Oct 2012, 10:39
Mr O - thanks for the 'resurgence' - I hinted in post #34 that all was actually sorted - after a brief and unsuccessful dalliance with the Windows Firewall I went back to ZA and all is now hunky-dory.

Mr Optimistic
28th Oct 2012, 10:52
ah, sorry. Not so clear using this smartphone thingy.