PDA

View Full Version : You're a Noisy Lot in Perth...

Capn Bloggs
17th Oct 2012, 02:07
Man racks up 21,000 complaints in crusade against aircraft noise
Andrew Tillett and Geoffrey Thomas, The West Australian Updated October 17, 2012, 3:50 am

Man racks up 21,000 complaints in crusade against aircraft noise

A Canning Vale man makes an average of 70 complaints a day in his crusade against noisy planes.

Figures from air traffic regulator Airservices Australia show Kevin McNamara made more than 21,000 complaints - 40 per cent of the total - about aircraft noise in Perth in the past four years.

Mr McNamara said he hoped bombarding Airservices through its website over arrivals and depatures at Perth Airport would lead it to change flight paths or noise insulate affected homes.

He said yesterday his record was 800 complaints in a day and he often complained 50 times about a single flight

"They wish I will go away because I am stuffing up their statistics but their statistics don't mean a damn thing," he said. "They respond but they try to fob you off. Nothing gets done."

Now retired, Mr McNamara made his first noise complaint in 2004 but said the problem was worse since flight paths were changed in late 2008.

"It keeps me awake at night," he said. "You can be having a barbecue and all of a sudden you have six planes in half an hour and you can't think."

Airservices said 344 people made 53,731 complaints about aircraft noise in Perth since November 2008, including Mr McNamara's 21,411.

In recent months he intensified his efforts. In the past year he made 9708 complaints and in August alone was responsible for 2156 - about 70 a day.

Anti-aircraft noise campaigners said the volume of complaints reflected frustration with Airservices for failing to take concerns seriously.

Aircraft Noise Action Group spokesman Hugh Smith said the skies around Perth Airport were an "aerial sewer" because of revamped flight paths and air traffic growth.

Airservices and the Noise Ombudsman had visited Mr McNamara but could not resolve the issues.

Perth airspace is congested because of safety factors at three nearby airports plus Pearce RAAF base, which cannot be traversed on weekdays.

and

Technology to reduce plane noise
Geoffrey Thomas Aviation Editor, The West Australian Updated October 17, 2012, 3:55 am

Within two years, planes may glide into Perth Airport and zigzag over parks and warehouses rather than houses as air traffic controllers harness the latest technology to cut noise for residents.

AirServices Australia confirmed yesterday two new technologies, Continuous Descent Approach and Required Navigation Performance, were being planned for Perth.

CDA is used in Europe for a continuous descent at idle thrust rather than a stepped approach, when pilots sometimes have to use thrust several times to maintain a constant altitude before stepping down gradually.

RNP uses satellites to guide planes on a precise and often curved approach with an accuracy of one metre to avoid houses.

Qantas' Boeing 737s already have RNP and the airline is certifying its A330s to the same capability.

Many overseas airlines operating to Perth are also equipped with, but not certified for, RNP.

However, AirServices needs to design new RNP approaches before Qantas can use the capability.

RNP was devised in the 1990s by Alaskan Airlines to enable its planes to get into airports in mountain areas in bad weather.

Qantas and Air New Zealand use RNP to get into the ski destination of Queenstown almost year round.

Though it is not possible to avoid all houses around Perth Airport, RNP significantly cuts noise impact. AirServices is also watching developments for steeper descents which may cut noise 20 per cent.
Last time I looked at my engines on descent into Perth (or anywhere else for that matter) there were already at Idle. :hmm:

Capt Claret
17th Oct 2012, 02:32
Fancy building an airport near a residential area. Where's the forward planning?

Transition Layer
17th Oct 2012, 02:57
RNP-AR approaches in Perth, hah!!! Good luck with that!

The recent ILS outage showed how many companies/types into Perth can't even conduct a regular GNSS approach.

BTW, I think it's the ability to curve the approaches down to 500' AGL (or lower) that offers the noise benefits.

Engineer_aus
17th Oct 2012, 03:48
That guy needs to move house if he wants to complain like that. I am pretty sure the airport was there before he was living in that house irrespective of the flight path changes.

17th Oct 2012, 04:37
Correction: that guy needs to get a life, a job or a girlfriend!!

myshoutcaptain
17th Oct 2012, 04:57
Next time I'm over his place ... :ok:

gobbledock
17th Oct 2012, 05:05
Maybe this bloke has an alias, maybe he is actually GT, Aviation expert on nothing?

sixtiesrelic
17th Oct 2012, 05:14
His ilk are under every flight path or within ten miles of it.
They think their life is being made uncomfortable and make heaps of noise about it to have someone else cop it when the big dangerous aeroplanes stop flying over their houses and go over the other people's.

I wonder if they feel any sort of compasssion for those who are told the council/government is buying their homes to make way for new roads. Those poeple have no say and if they fight they get less. Seen that with my own eyes.
Bet they couldn't give a bugger.

Well! guess what?...

bazza stub
17th Oct 2012, 05:57
Hes not that pr!ck with the green laser is he? :E

jas24zzk
17th Oct 2012, 07:10
This muppet should come live near me. 20 metres from a highway. :)

Then he'll know what noise really is....nothing like a convoy of Jake brakes rolling down the slight incline at 3am..no curfew for those guys.

Council solution...plant tree's for noise cancelling...real solution, lift the speed limit back to 80 kph, where it works!

I'm happy to swap houses with him, i like airplane noise :ok:

Shark Slayer
17th Oct 2012, 07:45
Near the airport.

Cheaper house compared to those not near airport.

Can you see why?

IDIOT!

By George
17th Oct 2012, 07:48
In Zurich in 2008 they caught an irate resident firing a .22 at the overflying aircraft, so this Bozo is fairly harmless, in comparison.
You see people building up against a railway line and never complain about the train noise. You'd never build beside a harbour and tell the Harbourmaster to move his ships. Why is aviation always the bunny?

Bring back the 727 I say.

Nautilus Blue
17th Oct 2012, 08:31
The irony is he has handed ASA a silver bullet to shoot down noise complaints.

"Is it true you had 53,731 noise complaints last year?"

"Yes, but 21,411 were from one person, [meaningful look, nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean, this guys obviously a crank, big brush to tar all complaints with etc]"

Last time I looked at my engines on descent into Perth (or anywhere else for that matter) there were already at Idle.

I 'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this 'new' idea. I went though the ATC training college nearly 25 years ago and we were taught than that the goal of arrivals was to give unrestricted descent from top to landing (even if its not always possible, its always the aim).

crwjerk
17th Oct 2012, 08:37
"You can be having a barbecue and all of a sudden you have six planes in half an hour and you can't think."
That's one plane every 5 minutes. My plan would be simple, if it's that hard to think, just turn your snags every time you hear a plane.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Oct 2012, 08:51
That guy needs to move house if he wants to complain like that. I am pretty sure the airport was there before he was living in that house irrespective of the flight path changes.
Then he'll just find something else to complain about. If he lived on a desert island he'd probably complain about the lack of public transport. :rolleyes:

172driver
17th Oct 2012, 09:18
That's one plane every 5 minutes. My plan would be simple, if it's that hard to think, just turn your snags every time you hear a plane.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

It may stretch his intelligence somewhat, though.....

Ixixly
17th Oct 2012, 09:46
...Would love to see a new waypoint "NMARA" appear somewhat overhead this blokes house or maybe do the old checkboard like they used to have into Hong Kong and require aircraft to overfly it?

SgtBundy
17th Oct 2012, 10:28
The stupid thing is he says he wants to flood complaints to raise the issue, and in the same breath he dismisses anything they can use by saying their stats are useless (because of him). So his action not only makes it impossible for them to actually do anything because their stats are so skewed and biased, but he also ensures he is marked as a pain in the ass and thus less likely to be taken seriously.

I lived in Petersham for a few years nearly dead under the approach for 16R at YSSY (google earth says 4Km from threshold and 400m off centerline). Enough to rattle windows and sometimes stop conversation but really it wasn't that difficult to live with, although I did enjoy watching them come over from the back steps. It made me wonder why people so much further out at higher parts of the approach seemed to be more vocal about it.

DX Wombat
17th Oct 2012, 10:58
Perth airspace is congested :rolleyes: :confused: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm going to have go and have a nice little lie down to recover from that. He has no idea of what congestion actually is.
He may like to spend a little time in the UK Therapy Centre located at Lat N51.28 Long W 0.27. I'm sure some of you long haul ladies and gentlemen would be happy to drop him off there. Literally should you feel so inclined. :E
You may like to see how a similar complaint about Manchester (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/48135-too-much-noise.html)was dealt with some years ago by the denizens of JB. ;)

DX Wombat
17th Oct 2012, 11:43
A little more information for you:
Aircraft movements: Heathrow - 1305 DAILY, 476,197 annually, Perth (Gvt figures) - 778 WEEKLY! 10,059 annually. The annual total for Perth is just over the weekly total for Heathrow.

cbradio
17th Oct 2012, 12:59
I knew Perth was a backwater!!

You might have the wrong Perth, wombat. ;)

Jabawocky
17th Oct 2012, 13:16
find this idiots house, and get some old 727's, F28's, DC9's and do max weight max thrust departures over his house for a week or so.

Then ask hime would he like the modern quiet jets back?

Another 02 thief :ugh::ugh:

Bloggs.....maybe its just you? :E

Capn Bloggs
17th Oct 2012, 13:31
Looks more like you than me, Jabba!

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w334/capnbloggs/noiseman.jpg

DX Wombat
17th Oct 2012, 13:39
No, definitely Perth, West Oz. ;)

cbradio
17th Oct 2012, 14:06
Perth has about 13000 movements per month. Not sure where 778 per week comes from!

le Pingouin
17th Oct 2012, 14:06
No idea where you got your figures from Wombat but they're rubbish!

91,723 annual movements 2010-11 according to the Perth Airport Annual report: http://www.perthairport.com.au/FY%2010-11%20Perth%20Airport%20Annual%20Report.pdf

172driver
17th Oct 2012, 14:35
It made me wonder why people so much further out at higher parts of the approach seemed to be more vocal about it.

I think you'll find that the most annoying (as opposed to loudest) noise on a flightpath is where config/power changes occur.

DX Wombat
17th Oct 2012, 15:35
Figures came from a Government Paper on projections for the future. I've just tried to find it again and can't. If I get another chance to do so I'll try again later. I should have known better than to think any figures given by a government would be accurate. :O

18-Wheeler
17th Oct 2012, 22:07
You probably have to factor in some traffic to/from Jandakot as well, because the idiot in question here has decided to buy a house right between the two airports, then complain about aircraft noise.

wishiwasupthere
17th Oct 2012, 22:22
Is it natural progression for him to start complaining about 'chemtrails' soon?

:}

flighthappens
17th Oct 2012, 22:46
Noise Complaint - YouTube

Now this is a noise complaint

Pappa Smurf
17th Oct 2012, 23:18
Amazing,as Canning Vale is 15k from airport.

Capn Bloggs
17th Oct 2012, 23:25
Perth is a little backwater lightie aerodrome in the big scheme of things.
At least people are allowed to make noise complaints...unlike your current abode, 380! :ok:

Hasherucf
18th Oct 2012, 00:42
Here is a crazy plan.

Move Perth Airport to Pearce , Move the RAAF to a regional city like Kalgoorlie .

Some benefits are ,
Opening up prime real estate in the middle of Perth.
Values of suburbs like Redcliffe and Midland would rise due to less noise.
Govt could extend the the northern train line and have a train line to the airport.
A small regional city could recieve a boost from the RAAF and support services moving in.

Just an idea,

avconnection
18th Oct 2012, 03:07
RAAF would probably be happy to move but you'd still be stuck with the Singaporean Air Force there.

Shark Slayer
18th Oct 2012, 04:05
...Would love to see a new waypoint "NMARA" appear somewhat overhead this blokes house or maybe do the old checkboard like they used to have into Hong Kong and require aircraft to overfly it?

Wouldn't WANKA be more suitable?

gobbledock
18th Oct 2012, 05:59
This bloke probably creates noise and other complaints against himself by way of:

Playing his noisy piano accordian every friday night!
Regularly wearing beige cardigans.
Lining up at the Post Office every Tuesday AM 30 minutes before opening time.
Lining up at QML every second Wednesday for a blood test 1 hour prior to opening.
He complains daily to Coles about the lack of pensioner discounts for food items such as soft lollies and lactose free milk, and not to mention products such as adult nappies and Bepanthen cream.
Whinges daily to the local Minister and Council about road noise, noisy kids, crows/magpies and wilderbeast noise, noisy garbage trucks, noisy Postie bikes, the young couple next door having noisy rooting sessions, noisy pool filters, noisy above ground power line humming (affects his tinitis), noisy police sirens, noisy cloud build-up during summer.....
He creates complaints by driving his Mistubishi Magna at around 60 km/h on the freeway.
He complains about not having unlimited access to the electric BBQ's at the local park.
He whinges about insufficient wheelchair access to the lawn bowl green.
Again, we have a silly old silvertail moaning daily in an obsessive manor. This is another reason why the elderly should be culled at age 70!!

Nautilus Blue
18th Oct 2012, 06:56
http://www.apocalypticmovies.com/movie-index/images/jmovies/img_folders/logansrun/logans_run4.jpg

70 you say, is that not a little old?

Capn Bloggs
18th Oct 2012, 08:25
This is another reason why the elderly should be culled at age 70!!

Gmail calendar duly annotated with Gobbledock's 2033 birthday. :}

Worrals in the wilds
18th Oct 2012, 09:54
Wouldn't WANKA be more suitable? Or DIKWD.
He creates complaints by driving his Mistubishi Magna at around 60 km/h on the freeway.And a legion of accidents behind it, but he's okay, sure in the belief that he's a Safe Driver. That said, I'd move the age up to 85, and a selective cull at that. Not all oldies fit the type, and there are plenty of Gen Xs who tick all those boxes;

Playing his noisy piano accordian every friday night!
Playing dodgy 1980s rock at dB readings in excess of a 727 on takeoff until 0200 cos it's allegedly cool, and who doesn't like Jimmy Barnes? :hmm:
Regularly wearing beige cardigans.
Regularly wearing sports wear, despite his/her last sporting achievement being an 'effort' award in the B team at school during the aforementioned 1980s.
Lining up at the Post Office every Tuesday AM 30 minutes before opening time.
Lining up at the local coffee joint with an order that sounds like the co-ordinates for a secret nuclear facility. 'I'll have a double shot single filtered mocha soy latte with swirl, and don't make it too hot', while everyone else just wants a coffee...:zzz:

Lining up at QML every second Wednesday for a blood test 1 hour prior to opening.
Lining up at the physio with yet another imagined complaint concocted between him/her and the naturopath next door, making all the people who actually had an appointment for their work related back injury and are writhing in agony (in between nicking sports magazines :E) wait another half hour.
He complains daily to Coles about the lack of pensioner discounts for food items such as soft lollies and lactose free milk, and not to mention products such as adult nappies and Bepanthen cream.
Or the lack of free range pork, when his/her trolley is packed to the gunnels with precooked pepperoni pizzas and luncheon meat (may contain traces of lunch, definitely no meat),
Whinges daily to the local Minister and Council about road noise, noisy kids, crows/magpies and wilderbeast noise, noisy garbage trucks, noisy Postie bikes, the young couple next door having noisy rooting sessions, noisy pool filters, noisy above ground power line humming (affects his tinitis), noisy police sirens, noisy cloud build-up during summer.....
Same same. Some things never change.
He creates complaints by driving his Mistubishi Magna at around 60 km/h on the freeway.
Or his big, kickarse European SUV pretend 4WD with the private school stickers all over the back, just in case you weren't sure he was a total wanquer
He complains about not having unlimited access to the electric BBQ's at the local park.
Or the safety of his/her kids because there was a MAN in the park. Just sitting there. He must be Evil, otherwise what would he be doing in a park while the kids were there? :eek::}
He whinges about insufficient wheelchair access to the lawn bowl green.
Or insufficient room for the aforementioned Euro Wanquer Tanker out the front of the aofrementioned coffee shop, when the spots are clearly marked 'commercial vehicles only' and someone from the council has the audacity to issue him a ticket...

I hear you:ok:, but being a whinger is a state of mind, not an age thing. We won't be rid of them for a loong time...:ugh:
In the meatime, airport locations are hardly state secrets. Nor are flight paths, if you have the nous to look on the ASA site or just sit out the front of your prospective new home for an hour or so. :bored:

18th Oct 2012, 13:56
I think that I've just decided that I hate people. Done.

allan907
19th Oct 2012, 01:20
I think that this newark is probably complaining about the movements at Jandakot and can't differentiate between a 777 and a Cessna 150. Canning Vale is just under Jandakot 24R and 24L whereas it's over 14 km from Perth and well out of the noise zone.

And yes, the houses were built long after the airport(s)!

ranmar850
19th Oct 2012, 06:43
Amazing,as Canning Vale is 15k from airport.
and
think that this newark is probably complaining about the movements at Jandakot and can't differentiate between a 777 and a Cessna 150. Canning Vale is just under Jandakot 24R and 24L whereas it's over 14 km from Perth and well out of the noise zone.

And yes, the houses were built long after the airport(s)!

One of my pet hates--those who buy near an airport, then complain about the noise from all the unexpected aircraft. And Canning Vale is relatively new as a residential area. Put him in Petersham, as a PP suggested--I remember, in the distant past (mid seventies) , having a girlfriend with a flat in Stanmore Road. An incoming 747 on 16 would cause TV reception to drop out and (almost) cause a pause in sex.:) I regularly stay closer than him in Perth --Kewdale, look down and see the house from a RH windowseat departing 21 , and it is just not an issue. I suspect he needs checking for Tinnitus. And he must just be the most miserable old sod to get on with, such an obsessive fool he just doesn't realise he is making a mockery of his "cause" :rolleyes:.
I hereby declare I will never be "that old" ( regardless of some arbritary crap from a calendar.)

Capn Bloggs
19th Oct 2012, 06:47
An incoming 747 on 16 would cause TV reception to drop out and (almost) cause a pause in sex.
Why, to run outside and have a look? :D

ranmar850
19th Oct 2012, 07:01
Naturally:ok: Having grown up under the approach to 07 at Padstow Heights, I grew up watching the heavy traffic change from Connies' to 707's and finally the first of the 747's before I left for good. Is this why I have always loved aircraft? (not because I associate them with sex under short finals:})

Tankengine
19th Oct 2012, 07:16
You have the TV on for sex??:confused::E:E

Worrals in the wilds
19th Oct 2012, 09:22
I'm just curious about the short finals. :E:}

ranmar850
19th Oct 2012, 09:39
Well, the approach may have been long and shallow, but the finals were...short? :E

myshoutcaptain
19th Oct 2012, 11:35
Tankengine - the days of DVD are not lost on us yet ... :ok::};)