PDA

View Full Version : EASA - para dropping question

Wodka
16th Oct 2012, 18:44
Hi guys,

Well EASA strikes again! I am a EASA CPL holder (ex JAR) and fly a lot for parachute centres.

I have a class 1 OML and class 2 unrestricted medical. Therefore I have been operating under my class2 medical as it is aerial work. I am a volunteer.

In the brave new world, PPL
holders can no longer do aerial work. Does this catch me too as I'm operating my CPL under class 2?

Have been trawling the web but nothing clear so far.... Thanks

gijoe
16th Oct 2012, 20:52
I don't think the BPA or CAA know...hence the fiasco over the last week or so.

Non-commercial ops on a PPL fine - tandems non-commercial???

You go figure...

There needs to be some very quick EASA-approved movement on this before something unfortunate happens and lawyers get involved.

G:ok:

highjinx77
16th Oct 2012, 21:09
There is going to be updated info issued in early Nov. Still a rather grey area.

Lowmick
17th Oct 2012, 11:19
If it goes commercially (and usually it does - tandems), you need all licences and qualifications necessary to do it. And I think aerial works are considered also as a commercial stuff at all - aerial photography, transparent towing, fire spotting etc.
Anyway, most CAA still tolerate flying for aeroclubs with PPL... or I mean, they dont ask if you have CPL :}

sooty3694
18th Oct 2012, 16:47
how long have the rule makers and administrators of EASA had to get this drafted, consulted, agreed, legislated and implemented?

unfit for the purpose of serving the fee paying public or anyone connected with running an aviation enterprise!

PURPLE PITOT
18th Oct 2012, 20:30
EASA, working hard to make working in aviation harder!

Dg800
22nd Oct 2012, 09:41
Anyway, most CAA still tolerate flying for aeroclubs with PPL... or I mean, they dont ask if you have CPL

They will start checking as soon as you have an accident (god forbid!). It's never a good idea to do something illegal just because everybody is looking the other way (or not looking at all), it can bite you in the ass sooner and harder (think insurance cover) than you think.

Ciao,

Dg800

Lowmick
22nd Oct 2012, 14:15
They will start checking as soon as you have an accident (god forbid!). It's never a good idea to do something illegal just because everybody is looking the other way (or not looking at all), it can bite you in the ass sooner and harder (think insurance cover) than you think.

Totally agree. It is like glider towing - also aerial work, so CPL should be necessary even for this.
I just know, that para dropping has long tradition in lot of countries in aeroclubs. In past, most people doing it had PPL. So step to CPL is not so common...

Wodka
22nd Oct 2012, 19:17
Thanks for replies thus far guys. However still no further with our situation.

To recap our centre has had 3 highly experienced drop pilots (all CPL/IR) grounded by this due to operating on a class 2 medical.

Will EASA allow us as CPL holders to operate under our class 2 medical if this is aerial work?

S-Works
22nd Oct 2012, 19:19
Will EASA allow us as CPL holders to operate under our class 2 medical if this is aerial work?

Not as I understand it.