PDA

View Full Version : A Plea To All Cabin Crew/flight Attendents Please Read!!!!!

Shadowpurser
10th Apr 2002, 22:21
This is a copy of part of post I put in the tread about armed F.D.

This is a plea to all the cabin crew out there all over the world. The pilots are the same people they were before the F.D. door was locked. They do appreciate a social visit during the flight if it's possible. On your next flight (time permitting) try ringing them on the interphone and just saying "hi it's ****** can I come in?" wait for the stunned scilence, then enjoy the smiles when you sit down for few moments in the flight deck to talk the drivers about the latest gossip or last nights episode of Eastenders. It also makes them not feel guilty about going to the toilet "while your there....." etc. I always go in and open up with new joke (clean and p.c. of course!! lol), certainly seems to ease things along I find.

Their job has changed a lot since 11/9, but I don't think we always see it. My better half is an F.O. and she hates the almost "iron curtain" that it has now created. No-one disputes that these measures are not nessecary, but it does mean we have to make more of an effort to have a face to face conversation in-flight, and it is important!!!!

Finally to all those Captains out there reading this post - please ask you F.O. if theyre ok/thirsty/hungry/wanting the toilet/etc. Your co-pilot may be yearning to talk to someone else appart from you (Nothing personal) just for a change of pace for 2 minutes or indeed they may just be thirsty. Please give them this chance by asking them before you reply "We're ok in here!!!" over the interphone. Part of our jobs is looking after you, just as part of your jobs is looking after us.;)

flyblue
11th Apr 2002, 07:20
Shadow, I personally haven't changed anything since 9/11 on my "hi" policy to F/D occupants. I try to go for a chat if they seem happy to have company. The ladies in F/D are also very glad to have another woman to talk to, they say. Often I end up going to the restaurant with them after the flight , because I can't stand the usual pizza/Mc Do that often F/A like. It is a good way to socialize and pass eachother information about our job, which helps with CRM (like give an explanation to the usual topic "why does it take so long to you guys to disembark after flight?").

Pegasus77
11th Apr 2002, 10:00
As an FO behind the new iron curtain, I certainly do not like it.
The communication with the cabin crew has diminished. I think that is a great pity.
It is very variable between cabin crews... Some phone up every 10 mins to come in, like they did before 11/9, others take the locked door as a not-to-be-crossed-border.

About asking the captain to get up and do some stretching-excercise in the cabin... I do that on most flights longer than one hour, and till now no captain had problems with that.

The new door does not make the job nicer, but I guess after some time we'll learn to deal with it, without losing the so important social contact between cabin and cockpit.

P77

Pandora
11th Apr 2002, 10:54
Shadowpurser,
you took my plea to heart.
Thanks for your hard work, and if ever there was an award for outstanding CRM, you'd be my nominee.
Hopefully I won't be forced into knawing my own leg to relieve the boredom on a long sector now.

christep
12th Apr 2002, 03:49
Pandora,

Is that when the captain reads you some of his poetry?

:)

Tight Slot
26th Apr 2002, 11:08
It certainly has changed in these days of locked doors. Now days the only time I get to see the cabin crew, is if I help out with the seat pockets on the turn round.

Its quite common now to do a 2 sector day, and at the end of it go into the crew room and not recognise some of the crew I've just spent the last 9 hours burrning holes in the sky with.

Call us, talk to us, come in, we like it !