PDA

View Full Version : Senate Estimates OCT 2012

ER_BN
15th Oct 2012, 18:19
GD, K and others

Appreciate your optimism that Senate Estimates will actually do something for Australian Aviation today

But to quote from the movie "The Castle" .tell them their dreaming!!

I'd love to be proven wrong but have you had a look at the program

AsA allocated 15 mins...where would Nick start, even if he is there...get the picture.

After last Senate estimates CASA promised a top down review of AsA..anyone seen the report...No

After last Senate estimates ATSB promised a review of all LOSAs and BOSs since 2008..anyone seen the report...No...(N.B. most LOSAs and BOSs don't even make it to the ATSB for investigation as per their website).

Would be happy to crack a Grange tonight in celebration, but fear it will be more of "Move on, nothing to see here", and for me cheap red wine with the usual happy tablets...

Me thinks it has to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Many is AsA apparently thought the VOZ SYDNEY BRISBANE incident would finally be the turning point.

In my view in other countries, drastic and needed reform only occurs after people die?

blackhand
16th Oct 2012, 01:31
In my view in other countries, drastic and needed reform only occurs after people die? In the view of other countries, needed drastic reform occurs when?

ER_BN
16th Oct 2012, 08:34
So the October Senate Estimates have come and gone and AsA, CASA and ATSB are still there and seemingly aggressively making Senator X off his game today.

Remind me again what was meant to happen???

blackhand
16th Oct 2012, 08:38
Thought the same ER_BN, went to the Senate webpage and saw that it is happening on the 22 October, as senate inquiry, not part of estimates hearings. They have a day (woohoo a whole day minus all the tea breaks) for hearing then til 29 November to table report.
Not sure that the inquiry will achieve anything.

dogcharlietree
16th Oct 2012, 10:30
I would not be at all surprised if the net cast will drag up a lot more than they are expecting. This is the time to vent a lot of past anger and I don't think it will solely refer to Pel-Air.

Sunfish
16th Oct 2012, 19:26
It's the vibe........

Up-into-the-air
18th Feb 2013, 21:38
Here is a "Questions on Notice" from the Senate to both casa and atsb, which is worth looking at:

Senate Committees – Parliament of Australia (http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=rrat_ctte/estimates/add_13/index.htm)

I t says in part:

From casa:

Senator FAWCETT: Just a question on the portfolio statements. The appropriations estimated for 2011-12 were $152,948,000. I notice what was actually received was $42,739,000, but the other figure in the column has basically done a similar swap, so clearly there are changes in accounting rules there.

In net terms, there has been a reduction of about $100,000 in your budget, but given that there are cost growth pressures, clearly you have made some savings measures, along with some changes in your accounting rules.

Mr J McCormick: I will take that on notice.

Senator FAWCETT:

Mr Dolan, welcome. I am just going to your portfolio budget statements.

I notice that the forecast appropriations and running through your total cash received estimated in the 2010 budget for the 2011-12 was around $22 million and then actual is about $100,000 less, so that is not a huge difference in the scheme of things, but given that there are cost growth pressures and indexations to take into account, you have obviously made savings within ATSB.

Can you take on notice for the committee and come back to us to highlight the key areas where those savings have been made within ATSB because I cannot track, at the level of discernment within the papers, where those savings have actually been made?

Mr Dolan: I am happy to take it on notice.

Well, the question is:

What is the chance of two Government instrumentalities, who "...don't talk to each other ......" except where required!!!! could come up with what are "identical savings"

I am awaiting to see the "spin-doctors" replies to this one!!

Kharon
18th Feb 2013, 22:59
One requires slightly more than a rudimentary idea of shrubbery management, pot plant husbandry and vermin extermination. A little more than a thin grasp - (French monodoigt "single finger") A climbing hold, typically a pocket or hueco, that only has enough room for one finger. – on matters aeronautical, or even an advanced diploma in pony pooh to understand.

However, help and guidance is always close at hand.

The right stuff.

YAaawwnnnn – Oh, Chocolate frog for Sunny.:D

my oleo is extended
19th Feb 2013, 10:47
Perhaps $100,000 was simply saved, on two separate occasions by Beaker and the Potted One each cancelling a trip to Montreal?

Perhaps $100,000 is the new Devils number hence it raising its head?

Perhaps $100,000 was shaved off by actually cutting back the pot plant budgets in both organisations from $250,000 down to $150,000? Senator Nash should look into that!

On a final and non tautological note, those 'questions on answer' have remained open or 'unanswered' for close to 5 months, might be time for the Senators to remind Mr Pot Plant and Beaker that they are still waiting a response.
Or should the Senators ask Sith Mrdak instead?

Sarcs
19th Feb 2013, 11:16
On a final and non tautological note, those 'questions on answer' have remained open or 'unanswered' for close to 5 months, might be time for the Senators to remind Mr Pot Plant and Beaker that they are still waiting a response.
Or should the Senators ask Sith Mrdak instead?

Actually Oleo they have been answered but only as of 06/02:Senate Committees – Parliament of Australia (http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=rrat_ctte/estimates/sup_1213/infra/index.htm)

But the point you make about the lengthy delay hasn't gone unnoticed by Fiona (Green Fingers) Nash:
Senator NASH: Can we just visit, unfortunately, again the issue of late answers to questions on notice. The minister might be able to assist with this. I think last time you may have undertaken to discuss with the minister a more timely response. My understanding is that answers to questions were two months late. I think we got the first of them on 6 February, which was only last Wednesday. Is that correct? Could you perhaps advise the committee, Mr Mrdak, when they went from you to the minister?

Mr Mrdak: The answers were provided to the committee on 6 February. We had a total of 160 questions that were asked of the department, of which 45 were in Hansard and 115 were written. The department provided the first batch of draft responses to the minister on 30 November. That was 123 draft responses. A further 26 responses were provided on Monday 10 December. Then there was a small batch provided on 9 January. The department did not this year meet all of our timeline requirements. Certainly they were all available to the minister—as I said, there was a final batch on 9 January.

Senator NASH: Well done to the department. Minister have you got any indication as to why there was such a long time lag between that material being provided to the minister and the committee actually receiving the answers? As you would well understand, it makes it extremely difficult for the committee to run an appropriate process when we do not have time to read the answers to the questions on notice. I would not raise it if it was a one-off but it is happening time and time again. I really do not think it is an appropriate way to conduct Senate estimates.

Mr Mrdak: Senator, I do apologise again.

Senator NASH: I am not blaming you in any way, shape or form, which is why I asked the minister is if he had any indication of why there was such a time lag.

Senator Kim Carr: I have taken up this question with the minister's office, as I indicated I would. I have been given an assurance that much more attention will be paid to the responses to the committee's deliberations. I am looking forward to that actually being done.

Senator NASH: As are we, Minister. Thank you for your agreement with the committee at this juncture that it is not appropriate.

Senator Kim Carr: I think we can say in general terms that the government takes Senate committee processes very seriously. Obviously as a Senate minister I am have been aware of the long history on these questions. We have raised the matter with the minister and I have been given the assurance that I have given to the committee today. I will pass that information back on.

Senator NASH: An assurance by the minister?

Senator Kim Carr: I can understand the frustration of senators. The minister has a great many questions; a great many questions were asked. There is a view that information has to be provided—I think 160 questions were asked—and that there has to be proper consideration given to those answers. The department put a lot of work into the preparation of answers and the minister's office is keen to have a thorough consideration of these matters.

Senator NASH: It was a little compounded, too, Minister, by the fact that there was an issue with misnumbering which caused a delay even further of 30 of the questions for the committee. It is impossible—and I know I am pursuing the point, Minister, but I think you would completely understand—for this committee to undertake an appropriate process when we do not have time to properly consider the answers to the questions on notice. If I could ask you to take again to the minister, and perhaps kick him in the kneecap or whatever you need to do, to try to get some attention paid to this. We are not asking for the world—we are simply asking for some time, which is only fair and appropriate. If you could do that, Minister, we would be much obliged.

Senator Kim Carr: Senator Nash, I appreciate the concerns you have raised and I will take the matter up again.

So apparently it's Albo's circus troupe who is to blame!:ok:

my oleo is extended
19th Feb 2013, 19:48
Sarcs, thanks for the update, I missed that one. I must have glossed over the surface, bit like a FF Exec reading an audit report.
It was an interesting discussion between Senator Nash and Sith Mrdak, as it does appear that the time response issues to questions on notice lays within Albo's labyrinth. So many sets of hands to go through, so many spin doctors, so much polish to apply to the turd(s).......

Kharon
19th Feb 2013, 20:36
Flying circus Desperation.

Times of India – Albanese - "I reckon we might have got it right because we've got whingeing from the right and whingeing from the left." SOURCE: The Age 2013-02-10 22:53:00 Versus

True inspiration:

Please Minister, can we have our airports, airspace, reputation and safety standards back, please ???. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Up-into-the-air
20th Feb 2013, 01:07
I was forwarded this recently:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/soilmaster/uploads%20to%20pprune/tedandhisFumble_zps6628986a.jpg

Question is:

Who pushed the button?? in FF