PDA

View Full Version : Comet G-APDV

virgo
10th Apr 2002, 20:11
The people at Duxford intend to restore their ex-Dan Air Comet 4 (G-APDB) back to the original BOAC livery and configuration used on its inaugural trans-atlantic flight.

They would appreciate any help from anyone with information - particularly cabin/cockpit fitments and external paintwork photographs. Details of the cabin decor and the whereabouts of a genuine first-class and economy seat that could be copied would be particularly helpful.

Please reply to; [email protected]
or; [email protected]

Many thanks

Yozzer
11th Apr 2002, 06:18
Dont like that decision, after all the Cosford Comet already wears the BOAC scheme which is also to be seen on the VC10 at Duxford.

IMHO whilst Dan Dare did not have the best reputation in the world, they were a very important part of the British Airline scene of the sixties and seventies.

A very sad day when that particular machine enters the paintshop.

:(

Q1)What scheme is the Dan Air Ambassador to be painted in?
Q2)Is politics (sponsorship from BA) involved in this decision making process?

LowNSlow
11th Apr 2002, 11:05
I'm with Yozzer on this one. A company that actually kept & tried to preserve an example of all the aircraft they operated should be praised and commemorated for leaving such a legacy. If the Comet needs a repaint, repaint it in Dan-Air's colours.

Is the York at Duxford ex-Dan-Air as well?

The email address given by virgo doesn't work unfortunately.

virgo
11th Apr 2002, 14:25
Thanks for the comments................I'm just the messenger !!!

However, there's no question of falsifying anything - G-APDV was THE actual first transatlantic Comet 4..........flown by BOAC, so I don't think it unreasonable to resume its original colours?

Following your logic, the RAF Battle of Britain flight would look jolly silly if all restored aircraft had to retain their last owner's logo and paint job !

But more importantly - have you got a BOAC first-class seat gathering dust in your attic ?

bean
11th Apr 2002, 17:48
For anyone who still wishes to see a Comet in Dan-Air colours there is still the model 4B At the Science museum outstation at
Wroughton Wilts. Which will eventually be open to the public.
For all Dan-Airs commendable efforts in preserving Airframes G-APDB Is such an historically important Aircraft that it is only right that it should be repainted in the BOAC Scheme

Tiger_mate
11th Apr 2002, 22:44
Low and slow said:

A company that actually kept & tried to preserve an example of all the aircraft they operated .....

No Dove or Nord 262 preserved I believe, and the York is indeed ex Lasham Dan Air. The Wroughton Comet (White tail / red stripes + logo) (Red cheat line) has a differant scheme to the Duxford one (Red tail / white disc & logo) (Red & black cheat line), and I to believe that as Cosford focus` on British Airways and its ancestors, Duxford should stay independent!!

Lets hear it for Dan Air ;) ;)

T-M

tinyrice
12th Apr 2002, 03:25
Dan-Air.........good times......good times. Per Ardua ad Aberdeen!

bean
12th Apr 2002, 09:26
Another Aircraft DA Could have preserved but instead decided to scrap was the second prototype Avro 748 G-ARAY A rather important Airframe i would have thought!

newswatcher
12th Apr 2002, 13:49
Actually the first "flight" was a two way effort, one in each direction:

"The worlds first Transatlantic jet flights with fare paying passengers were made simultaneously on October 4th 1958 by G-APDC (Capt R E Millichap) westbound and G-APDB (Capt T B Stoney) eastbound."

The first landing was G-APDB, since G-APDC had to refuel at Gander, due to prevailing head-winds!

G-APDB was delivered to BOAC in September 1958, then sold to Malaysian Airways in September 1965 where it was re-registered 9M-AOB. It was old to Dan Air in October 1969 where it served until its last flight on 23/11/73. Finally presented to East Anglian Aviation Society, Duxford 12th Feb. 1974.

G-APDC was delivered to BOAC in September 1958, then sold to Malaysian Airways in October 1965 where it was re-registered 9M-AOC. After merger of Malaysian Airways and Singapore Airlines in December 1966 it was re-registered 9V-BAT. Finally sold to Dan Air in August 1969 and scrapped in April 1975. Last flight for Dan Air was 10/4/73

LowNSlow
13th Apr 2002, 04:43
If DV was the first, I can see the point in repainting her but it appears from newswatchers post that she wasn't.

Tiger_mate, I did say tried to keep an example :D

Given the comparative financial might of BA (BEA/BOAC) compared to DanAir, I think they did a much better job of preservation than BA.

After opening my big trap like that, NOW I'll ask the question, does BA have a policy of donating redundant airframes to museums or do they sell them for bits/scrap? :D

bean
13th Apr 2002, 13:22
1.G-APDB Was joint first & this is the aircraft at Duxford. Unfortunately Virgo made a typo in the titling of the thread but it is definitely DB To which we are referring.
2.The following Airframes were expressly donated by BA for preservation:-
Cosford:1, 1-11, 1, VC10, 1, Viscount 701, 1, Boeing 707-436, 1, Trident 1C
Duxford: 1, 1-11, 1, Super VC10, 1,Trident 2E
Wroughton: 1, Trident 3B