PDA

View Full Version : Autism Spectrum and Commercial Aviation

Chris the Robot
13th Oct 2012, 09:08
I'm aware from other threads and by contacting the CAA that it is possible to get a JAA Class 2 medical with a diagnosed history of Asperger's/High Functioning Autism. Since it says on the JAR-FCL 3 and EASA Part-Med documents relating to certain conditions that the psychological requirements are the same for the Class 2 and Class 1 medicals (and Part-Med equivalents) I would deduce it is possible to get a Class 1 with Asperger's/HFA so long as it was mild.

My real concern is the airline-specific requirements, I don't know if these are made public and I understand they will vary by airline but I'd like to ask what the general consensus is. I should add that in the recent past I was applied to join the Merchant Navy and passed my ENG1 medical with no problems (I did disclose a history of HFA), I was also offered interviews but instead took a traineeship in corporate banking. Aviation would definitely be a second career for when (or if) the availability of jobs for new pilots improves although I was thinking the BA FPP might be worth a shot should it still be around in a couple of years.

taxistaxing
13th Oct 2012, 10:15
Psychology-conditions | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13854)
Hi Chris,

See the link above to CAA class 1 medical requirements. It mentions that Aspergers is not an automatic bar to a class 1 medical (and neither should it be as it is not a disease or mental illness. Rather it is a collection of certain common behaviours and traits arising in particular individuals.)

The guidance mentions that cockpit CRM may be an issue, which I suppose may give airlines concerns. But on the other hand as you can obviously function well enough socially to do other types of jobs it is difficult to see why this should be an issue.

Assuming your Aspergers diagnosis does not preclude you from obtaining an unrestricted class 1 medical why would you even by required to disclose a it to an airline recruiter? If you can get a class 1 then by definition you are medically fit to fly commercially and they should have no interest in your medical background beyond this.

Alternatively some kind of additional psychological profiling may be necessary to remove any concerns held by airlines?

Definitely worth speaking to an AME for further guidance (and certainly before spending any money on training).

Very best of luck.

ei-flyer
13th Oct 2012, 12:10
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome during childhood.

I never told the aviation authorities or any airline and I am doing just fine. It's safer not to mention it, in this day and age you want everything going for you that you can.

Chris the Robot
15th Oct 2012, 18:16
Thanks very much for the advice on this thus far, were I to undergo an aviation medical I would inform the AME of a history of ASD. The most important thing is that, from what I have established, from a medical perspective, the option for me to become a commercial pilot is there and is hopefully unlikely to change since the CAA and equivalent bodies are allowing those who were previously medically excluded to obtain medical certificates.

So, based on age, I effectively have a 10-year window to start a career as a commerical pilot, I'll make a decision whether or not to pursue such a career based on my personal situation and the employment market. In the short-term I'll probably take up gliding as it is relatively cheap, shouldn't worry prospective emplyers regarding "unsupervised hours" and most of all, looks great fun!

The important thing now is that the option for me to become a commercial pilot exists.