PDA

View Full Version : FA to FO- anyone taking this route

shon7
10th Apr 2002, 19:50
I have a friend who is working as a FA for an airline and hopes to fly for them soon. In this position she gets to meet a lot of the pilots and make contacts. Of course, she also looks like a model so that helps.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has taken this route or done it this way? Would you be willing to share your experience?

ronnie123
12th Apr 2002, 10:13
First things first I was a MALE flt. attendant, not gay.
So the help from pilots was out of pity not coz of my "T&A".

Im now 1000 hrs+ FAA, still looking for a job. I had to quit my job as my X airline was not keen on inter dept. transfers, as in from cabin crew dept to ops.

And now they will not hire me back, mangement is worried I might start a trend. This happens in asia a lot.

But if you look like a model ,boy the whole world of aviation is open for you, check pilots will kill to fly with you and teach you every thing they know.

All the best.:)

shon7
12th Apr 2002, 15:05
Hey Ronnie , thanks for your reply. I would assume that companies encourage inter-departmental transfers because they don't have to re-train and go through all the paperwork for a newer employee, but you seem to suggest otherwise.

Also you said," management was worried that I might start a trend." Why would they be worried? In fact it gives them a better chance to see the candidate/ his/her work ethic etc. It is like a really long interview.

Any comments/insights?

ronnie123
12th Apr 2002, 15:40
Shon ,
What you say makes sence in the USA or some airlines in EU, but not in asia, still the old school rules here.
Where you are born to be a pilot and considered an elite.
:mad:
Im quite sure your lady friend will have no such issues .
Most of the big ones in US will have an internal recuitment program for sure.

Hand Solo
12th Apr 2002, 16:49
They may not encourage transfers because the FAs have been hired because they posess a certain set of skills and the flight crew have been hired becuase they posess a different set of skills. If a person is hired for a job in the cabin they may be ideal for what the company needs in the cabin but the total opposite of what they are seeking personality-wise in flight crew. There is significantly more to becoming an airline pilot than just collecting a clutch of licences and ratings. That said I know of three people who have made that transition succesfully, so it's by no means out of the question.

MICHEAL STIPE
13th Apr 2002, 03:58
Hand Solo...
Hate to ruin your whole Ideal on crew differences ,,,,but,,,
I'm actually looking at going the Pilot to FA role for a year in order to get $$$$ and await a new opportunity that's in store for me regarding Pilot work .

I have all the ratings and have not just "collected them",what I do have though is an unbiased understanding for the whole Airline Operation,suppose you could call me a Pilot with Personality perhaps????

I just happen to be personable and enjoy anything to do with airline work.
Beautiy is , Im adaptable and don't just have the Pilot only attitude.
To all in question of the original post I suppose so long as you don't run around like a "screaming queen" and be quite personable and enjoy people ,then you should be OK.
If I was doing the recruiting I'd look favourably at a candidate thats a "known quantity"

Establish yourself with a good name and you may find it goes a long way.

Good Luck Give it a GO!!!!!

ronnie123
13th Apr 2002, 05:49
Stipe ,
you sum it all very well, its just hand solos attitude i was talking about that rules in my x airline.
"BORN TO BE A PILOT"
What about pilots who take up managment positions are not managment material, or just dumb pilots who know nothing but flying.

Lets try and change this old school attitude.

slizer
13th Apr 2002, 11:01
If it helps, I am a pilot who has flown with, and helped train at least half a dozen ex-cabin crew over the past few years. The fact that they had 'model' tendencies or not is irrelevant. all were selected on their ability, determination and commitment. that meant that they bacame self improvers. (Studied themselves whilst still working as F.A's).
The obvious advantage is that they were already in the industry and could seek help from current pilots at exam time etc.
Some made it to F.O and at least 2 I can think of are now Captains on large pax aircraft.
Good luck to any FA that makes the move, but I warn you it is very hard work.

AOG007
13th Apr 2002, 13:24
Hand Solo is clearly a prat. Extremely vulnerable to competition, due to lack of confidence. This will be because people like this are unable to adapt to different roles or circumstances.
Operating like robots, not only in work, but in personal life.
I have many friends whom used to be FA's and now fly commercially in the UK. Most of whom are now in senior roles, or training positions.
Work hard, achieve your goals, and ignore people who will put you down at any given opportunity.

Hand Solo
13th Apr 2002, 13:26
I think its ronnie and Michael who need the attitude correction. I take it flying a GV that you don't work for a major airline Mike? Well good luck with your transition to being an FA but you might just find that you suck at it. There's a whole lot more to the job than being smiley and happy and nice to people, and its rather condescending of you to suggest that you'll just slot in to the job because you happen to be a 'pilot with a personality'. Have you ever worked in the service industry at all? As for your Ronnie, if you had the ability to read and analyse my post properly you would notice that I did not express any personal opinion on the subject, just stated facts. I don't care if you're an FA, an astronaut, a brain surgeon, gay, straight, white, black, red or green. In the company I work for if you apply for a flight crew position you get it on merit. If your previous career helps you achieve the required standard then great. But you don't get that standard lowered because you used to work for the company in any other department. So I'll reiterate my point so you can try to understand it again: the two jobs are different, and just because you were hired for one doesn't mean you'd be hired for the other.

I've just read AOGs post as well. What a numpty! Is there anyone on this thread who actually flies for an airline and as flown with ex-FAs or am I the only one?

AOG007
13th Apr 2002, 13:42
Hand Solo,
Thank you for calling me a numpty, a name I stopped using when I was about 8, so its brought back some childhood memories.

The problem that most people seem to be having with your post is the tone you have taken towards anyone else within an airline achieving their dreams of flying, commercially.

Once upon a time you would of had dreams and aspirations to become something/someone. You may have made it, or maybe not, I don't know. These people hear are looking to improve their lifestyles by doing something they have an interest in.

In future write your posts with a little less attitude in them. You unfortunately sound like the stereotypical british pilot, basically full of your own self importance. If this isn't the case, then just chill out, and try to put a little more understanding in your posts.

This is not meant to offend, maybe just explain my previous post.

Hand Solo
13th Apr 2002, 14:05
Rather like the word prat then. As I stated in my first post I know a number of people who have made that transition so it is possible. My original post merely stated that the two jobs are very different and require different skills. The fact that one happens to work in close proximity to the other does not mean that they are the same. Having 'model looks' may get you a job as an FA in some unscrupulous companies but I doubt it would get you far as a pilot if that was the prevailing company attitude. Hard work and application is generaly more succesful. If you want to understand how to get into a job then listen to the people who do the job and can tell you whats really important, rather than rumour-mongers

I also question the dubious assertion of ronnie123 that we have an elite attitude and the implication that it is that which has forced him to leave his previous employer. Perhaps it was, but equally that could just be sour grapes or maybe he just didn't meet the requirements. I'm sure that unfortunate flight crew attitude does exist in Asia, as the lamentable safety records of some of that regions carriers demonstrate, but shon7 isn't in Asia, so where's the relevance of that to this thread?

You may have a sterotypical image of British pilots, but thats your choice. Those of us who do the job know there aren't that many people around who are full of their own self importance, its bad for CRM and we don't get paid enough to be pompous.

Xenia
13th Apr 2002, 15:03
http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/peep.gif
Slow down in here!!! is it ever possible not to be able to exchange opinions without calling each others names??? http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/argue.gif
This is (is meant to be) an adult forum, not a day nursery! http://www.smilies.nl/love/baby2.gif I know a lot of FA that became FO, both in smaller and in bigger airlines. It's just a matter of interests and personality....
Good luck to all of you who want to move to the sharp end http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif and a better wish to all those (like moi) who have been dedicating years and years to the best profession in the whole world http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/arms.gif

shon7
13th Apr 2002, 20:56
Ronnie thanks for your replies. Are you based in the US or Asia?

I do know what you mean about Asian Carriers. I routinely fly AI, SQ and have flown on some others which I shouldn't even mention because it will start a tangential discussion. However, keep on it - you can break that glass celining and the elitist club.

MICHEAL STIPE
14th Apr 2002, 04:07
All I'll say in closing is that
"Just go for what you want"!!!!

None of us are overpaid in the industry , so lets just wish each other the best, and enjoy what we do.

Hand Solo.
I spent my time getting work in Australia flying in GA doing Charters ,doing bush flying.
No glamour for me of a great career progression.
Wouldn't swap my experiences for anything,

The overall tone of your script was very off putting, why I replied?
Just dont like people that appear to knock others ,whether it be Direct or Indirect.

Funny thing is ,you'd probably be a good bloke to have a beer with......

Anyhow all is well , All Enjoy ya selves'

MICHEAL STIPE
14th Apr 2002, 04:08
Oh and the GV thing ,
For me?
Thats just a wishful thinking thing :)

shifatur
14th Apr 2002, 14:23
gee! was fun seein the wresting between the undertaker (the pilots who made it to the cockpit from coffee deck) and razor ramon (the super duper pilots!)....... gosh! I better be careful about F/As and sexy attendants when i step into cockpit........

yea, this supposed to be an adult forum........but guess what? i am only 19.......does that disqualify me from becoming a reader of this post ? :rolleyes:

anyways.......good to be served some coffee after all........but hey, could u pour more sugar into it? as i read in one of the forums....."what kind of chicken is this beef?"

cheers
shif